2/13/21

Laughlin, Nevada

 We made our way a short distance down the road yesterday to Laughlin, Nevada. Laughlin is in the pointy bottom of Nevada. This is known as the Tri-State area because the borders of Nevada, Arizona, and California all come together here. You can see where we are on this Google maps capture. We're at the red pin...just next door to Bullhead City. The border with Arizona runs right down the middle of the Colorado River.


We did some hiking along the river last year. You can read my post right here.

As we drove out of Boulder City yesterday, I took one more photo of the solar array to the south. It's the most impressively large solar energy producing area I've ever seen. There must be several square miles of solar panels with more being added. It makes sense with all the sunshine, and the proximity to the electrical grid coming out of Hoover Dam. It looks like a lake.


From there, we just headed on down the dusty trail, admiring the southern Nevada scenery as we went.


So many layers and colors of rock, and I never get tired of looking at it.



As we rounded one of the final bends in the road, the sharp peaks of these mountains came into view. They look like the Nevada Tetons. (There are no Tetons in Nevada, but they look like the Tetons to me.)


We have a pretty good space here at our new home. It was a little noisy last night. They were shooting off fireworks over the river...Lunar New Year, perhaps? And with this being a three-day weekend, there are just a lot of people here. Nevertheless, we slept well until early this morning when there was a lot of running and jumping around. Sadie got out all of her favorite toys. She has a little duck, a little squirrel (or maybe it's a beaver...can't really say for sure), and these two little curly cue things. Those might be her favorites. We have to keep coiling them around our fingers, and then she straightens them out.


When she had everyone out of bed, she sat on the back of the couch, watching the birds.


Our bird feeders are hung outside. They were a complete bust in Boulder City. We didn't attract a single bird, although I did see one hummingbird perch on the tree outside our rig. It never drank from the feeder that I could see.

Smitty is trying out new poses for his Linked In page. Now that he's been featured as the sexiest mancat alive in Cosmeowpolitan magazine, his cell phone rings constantly. He thought it would be a good time to update his profile picture.


When I left you yesterday, I was getting ready to stitch up the latest inchy. This one took a little longer than the ones that came before. It features stem stitch around the border, double lazy daisies, chain stitch, buttonhole stitch, seed stitch, backstitch, and running stitch.


Here's how my whole wrinkly piece looks so far.


When I checked a few minutes ago, today's hadn't been posted yet. Maybe it has by now, and so that's where I'll head next. 

We'll probably hang out here at the RV for the next few days. I noticed a bunch of ducks and coots at the pond nearby, and so I've charged the batteries on my DSLR camera, and I'd like to try to get some photos of them. As I mentioned, we want to make a visit to Oatman, Arizona, while we're here, but we'll wait for the three-day weekend to be over. There's a quilt shop near here too. I don't really need a thing, but I might pay a visit anyway. So, there's plenty to do. We'll be here for the next week.

14 comments:

Barbara said...

On and on they flew, over the countryside parceled out in patches of green and brown, over roads and rivers winding through the landscapes like strips of matte and glossy ribbon. ~ J.K. Rowling

Annette Mandel said...

What pen do you use to trace your embroidery? I finally admit that I can't see fine pencil lines anymore...
Annette

Dorothy said...

I love Smitty's new manly pose. He really is a stud kitty. I know you're glad to be missing the snow. I think it's been snowing for 18 hours here in Western WA. The only good thing about snow is how quiet the world becomes

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Your stitchery looks great! Great idea to put it all on one fabric and add borders around each "piece".

Kaisievic said...

Wow! Great pics and you certainly do get around.

SJSM said...

It’s good to see pictures of that area. For a decade or so, I only saw it at night. We would leave Paso Robles, CA late in the afternoon headed for Missouri and moms family. Once we reached Tehachapi, I would drive through the night across the deserts. I was a night owl then. The rest of the family was asleep in the car. About sunrise we would switch drivers. Watching the sun rise was always spectacular. It took 32 hours door to door. Seeing the land change as we crossed the country let’s one know of the diverse landscape and people who populate our country.

Thanks for sharing the overall Inchie piece. It is a lovely design.

piecefulwendy said...

Enjoy your stay there, and soak up some sun for me. -18 here this morning (feels like -36).

Stitches said...

I really like your Crabapple Hill stitchery, I decided not to do it this year as I wasn't that fond of the way she suggested that we do it. I did think about doing it like you have and it's going to be a nice piece when you get it done. I love the picture of Smitty, posing like he is!! Reminds me of a tuxedo for some reason? His white chest and white boots are very prominent and he is one handsome cat!!

Karrin Hurd said...

Beautiful stitching! Happy Valentine's Day!

AnnieO said...

What a Man Cat to behold. And toys for cats are occasionally tolerated here, but mostly ignored when a crumpled foil ball is available.
Your Inchies look great all in one shot. Pretty warm colors, love them.

CathieJ said...

I love the latest cat photos and the toys. The Nevada photos are quite striking. That pretty little embroidery has a lot of different stitches in it. Enjoy your travels. Stay safe.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Have to love those early morning wake-up calls! And then just look at the calm serenity perched on the back of the couch. I laughed at Donna's comment 'stud kitty'- very fitting! I like how your inchy project looks - and such a great reference for the different stitches.

QuiltGranma said...

Beautiful inchie!

Vicki W said...

I haven't been commenting but I just wanted to stop in a say that I do enjoy your travel journals! The views are beautiful.