10/22/14

A Finish and a Start

As I mentioned in my post from yesterday, our friend Chuck gifted us with some chanterelle mushrooms, and so he is our dinner guest tonight. I spent the morning baking this Apple-Cinnamon Upside-Down Cake. Yum. I love a good upside-down cake, and this one is delicious.


Then I cleaned the place up a little and did a few little food-related things ahead. Early this afternoon I was able to make my way into the sewing room. The first thing I did was to actually finish the 8th door for the Doors of Ireland quilt. When I posted my picture last time, I realized I'd forgotten to top-stitch the crack between the two doors in the bottom right...and I'd left off any way for anyone to open the door. The original photo had a latch, but I didn't have anything in the right color. I opted for two pink door knobs, and now this one is really, really, really finished...except for the quilting, which will give it more detail. That will have to wait, however, because there are still more doors to make.


Then I got started on the third section of the Wind in the Whiskers quilt. This is the "Tiny Tim" section. As I mentioned in my post from yesterday, I'm going to spend a little time griping about this pattern. If you want to avoid my griping, just scroll on down a little ways.


So here's my gripe: This is a McKenna Ryan pattern. I love this pattern. I love all of her patterns. (Get ready for the "but".) BUT, they are expensive and complicated...especially expensive. Now, I'm happy to pay the price for this because she's done a fantastic job making a very detailed and realistic pattern, and I could never do this on my own. Still, when I pay as much for a pattern as I did for this one, I expect that at least a modicum of thought will go into the printing of said pattern.

So this one is long and narrow, and the template for the appliques necessarily (I guess) has to be broken into two pieces. You can see where the left side ends with the dotted line on the right side of the sheet in the image below.


No problem, I say to myself. I'll just tape the two pieces together. Only, here's the rub: the second part of the template is printed on the back of the same sheet. And I happen to find this beyond irritating! 


So, if I'm to have a whole template to work with, I'm required to copy the second part of the template and piece it together myself...and of course, it won't fit on one sheet of 8 1/2 x 11 paper. I'll have to piece the second side first, and then piece it to the first side, if that makes sense. And what the "F" is she doing printing on both sides of the sheet anyway? This is applique! It requires the use of a light source so that one can trace the pieces onto fusible or fabric. 


Only...she's printed on both sides of the applique templates as well.


So pardon me, but at the price I'm paying for these patterns, do you think I could get printing on just one side of the sheet, McKenna Ryan????? Okay, I'm done ranting now. It's safe to read on.

As I said earlier, these patterns are complicated. The first one I did nearly had me running for the door. I've figured out to do just one thing at a time without looking ahead. It's easier on the heart that way.


So I've cut the background...always a scary part since this is a kit, and I only have one chance to get it right. 


So far, so good. Now I'm working on making the dogwood blossoms, which is actually step 3 on the pattern. There are 24 flowers. I have them all traced, and now I'm cutting them out and fusing the centers to the petals.


And that's as far as I got before I needed to stop for the day. I have the rest traced, but they still need to be cut out. Seven down, 17 to go.


And now it's time for me to get going on my dinner. I'll continue on with this tomorrow. These are fun patterns, even if they are complicated...and irritating. They can be a little like putting together a jigsaw puzzle or reading a really good book. I get completely engrossed in them, and time passes very quickly.

It's a wet and windy day here today. How are things in your neck of the woods?

11 comments:

Sheila said...

You have more patiences than I do. The pattern is beautiful. Same type of weather here in western New York, but they say it will be in the high sixties next week. We will be back to raking leaves before you know it. Have a great week.

Julianne said...

OMG you crack me up. That does seem REALLY stupid though, who prints that sort of pattern on both sides of the paper!! It looks awesome though! :-)

Vroomans' Quilts said...

They saved on printing - you pay premium for pattern. It is a super pattern, but way over my ambition. NY is damp and windy right now (for the next 4 days) - our fall weather for the area. Crock pot goodness weather.

Cathy said...

I agree with everything you've said about these patterns. They are intensely irritating to use, with constantly flipping the pages over in order to find the correct lay out or pieces. And yet, the end result is always so gorgeous!!

Christine M said...

I've never done one of her quilts but I can see how frustrated you much have been. Hopefully it will all be worth it in the end when you finish Barbara.

Dana Gaffney said...

I always drool over her patterns but only have one small one which I've yet to even look at. I love doing applique, but it does seem to take the day, little bits of fabric and fusible everywhere but such fun putting the puzzle together.

Jeanie said...

Your end results are going to be fabulous...... but gee, how many people will make it to the end with those patterns and instructions. It's too bad that they aren't user friendly. Hang in there... you can do this!

Meg said...

Your comment about what is going on in my neck of the woods prompted me to write this!

That dessert looks too good. Right up my alley. Couldn't have it here - I seriously would sliver by sliver eat it all. Yum!

You are a machine with your projects! It's amazing how much you get done and the beautiful work you do.

Beautiful weather here in MN. The leaves are changing. Supposed to be near 70 degrees this weekend which is unusual for this time of year.

Have a good day!

Brown Family said...

I have really got to get started on Wind in the Whiskers!

quiltzyx said...

I think you should send a note to McKenna Ryan & let her know about this. Since her original work was all one-sided I'll bet she probably didn't consider what her customers would have to deal with.
The apple upside down cake does look scrumptious. Hope you had a great time for dinner!!

Kate said...

I love your Mad Hatters Dingle Door! I can't wait to see that quilt all put together.