9/22/14

Quilt Shop: Lickety Stitch Quilts, Lusk, Wyoming

We crossed the border into Wyoming this morning. Shortly thereafter, we entered the tiny town of Lusk, Wyoming (population about 1,600). On the way into town, I noticed a small sign advertising Lickety Stitch Quilts. Mike practically insisted that we stop because it meant that I wouldn't be bugging him to unhitch in Casper so that I could see the quilt shops there. A good deal all around!

And let me tell you, it was well worth stopping for. I really liked this shop. Look at this cute storefront:


Here's their business card:


with handy fabric measurements on the back.


And here's how the shop looks when you step inside the front door.


Just after stepping inside, the owner approached me and told me she was a distant neighbor from Oregon. She lived in Molalla, Oregon for 22 years before returning to Wyoming a while ago. Small world, no?

As you come through the door, look to the right, and you will see their fabulous supply of regional prints. In general, these bolts would have been a good supply for any shop. 


As I walked down this first row of fabrics, I realized that the whole wall was regional prints! Whoa! They were mostly of the cowboy and rodeo type, and so if you're a lover of western style quilts, you would absolutely love the fabrics in this store.


There was a good supply of patterns, including dressmaker patterns at the far right of the image.


There were a few new-to-me designers, including this pattern for "Ben's Boots" by Pie Plate Patterns. Cute stuff on their website. They are physically located in Fountain Green, Utah.


Also, this one: Ribbon Candy Quilt Company.


And this one: Buttons & Bees, which is physically located in Texas. I think I've seen these before, but not often.


I've seen and purchased Log Cabin Quiltworks patterns before, but in honor of Wyoming, I wanted to show you the Rodeo Gals.


This is a relatively small shop, but still manages to stocks lots of fabrics. What a find for this little town in the middle of nowhere! A veritable haven for local quilters.


They had a good supply of whimsical prints.


If I hadn't already made a flip-flop quilt, this would definitely have ended up in my shopping bag.


And look at this! M&M's...need I say more?


And swoon! Sock monkeys!


When I complimented the owner on her nice selection of regional prints, she proudly showed me this exclusive-to-Wyoming fabric. 


This is the same bucking horse seen on Wyoming's license plate:


It is also the insignia of the University of Wyoming:


She also had it in a pretty batik. If I were a cowboy fabric lover, this would have come home with me too.


There was a nice selection of flannel and minky as well.

She had a good supply of quilt kits made up, many from their own personal designer.


One of the quilts that was their own design was this "Friendship" sampler with quotations about friendship and its rewards.


So what did I pick? Well, I liked this regional print. I picked up a yard of that.


And one yard of this one, since I couldn't find any cow prints in Wisconsin.


And one yard of this batik...just because I liked it.


So, I've struck it rich this trip visiting some great quilt shops, and this one was as terrific as the rest. I gave it my highest rating of five rotary cutters. It's located in an out-of-the-way little town in Lusk, Wyoming, just inside the border with Nebraska. Definitely stop in if you find yourself in that part of the world. You will not be sorry.


It was just as well that we stopped off at this shop because it was the most exciting thing we did all day. I took a few pictures as we drove down the road, but I'll save those for tomorrow. We are spending the night in Casper, Wyoming, tonight. We'll be on to DuBois, Wyoming, tomorrow and a relatively short day of driving. We have visited DuBois before, and there is a famous restaurant/bar there. When we realized we could get to DuBois and call it a day, it was a simple decision to make a return trip to the restaurant. I'll tell you more about it in my next post.

*Disclaimer:  Cat Patches accepts no advertising, nor any sponsorships.  The opinions expressed on this blog are based on the personal impressions and perceptions of the author. They are formed  on the basis of one short visit, on one day, and may or may not reflect the experience of others visiting on a different day.  They are no more descriptive than a single snapshot image can be, and nothing written in a review of a quilt shop should be construed as objective fact.  The reviews are strictly the author's subjective opinion and should not be interpreted as anything more.


10 comments:

crazy quilter said...

I would agree you did make it to some pretty cool Quilt Shops on your month long trek across the upper US . Smitty probably like hunting the white woofie from the comfort of your big rig. Glad you found some solitude in your last camp ground. How was the star gazing? Good I would bet. Safe travels!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

What a wonderful find! Love the fabrics you chose - saw some that would have come with me for sure.

Junebug613 said...

Another fantastic shop! I have that flip flop fabric! Thanks for even more links! Traveling with you is exciting and possibly expensive!! LOL

quiltzyx said...

Another fine shop you've taken us to! When I saw the western fabric, I thought of my favorite "cowboy" quilt by Patt Blair - http://www.pattsart.com/featured.html

Safe travels onward!!

Diane Wild said...

So much fun to find a treasure shop like that in a small town. I would be more than tempted to bring home cowboy fabric even though I probably wouldn't use them.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I may be ordering that Ben's Boots pattern. I'm sure there will be some babies in my extended family in the next few years. Good find, that quilt shop.

juliehallfeldhaus said...

Oh boy I love that quilt shop!! I have 2 totes of western fabric!! If you are ever back in South Dakota stop by Hill City they have a great quilt shop. I got this kit there
http://jmf-betterthanideserve.blogspot.com/2014/07/happy-birthday-greg.html

Renata S said...

I appreciate your links to the pattern designers. It is fun to explore their websites. Safe travels.

Michele said...

That shop looks adorable and it would have been a fun one to wander around in.

Kate said...

It looks like a great little shop. You picked up some fun stuff to play with later.