7/30/14

One for the Angels

Yesterday I was able to finish the Where Angels Walk quilt. I've been working on this quilt since November of last year, which seems like a short time in my sewing room these days.


It's hard to see in the image above, but the floral binding really brings out the main floral fabric in the quilt.


This morning I was able to print off the label, and I'll get it sewn on sometime today. I wanted to use the same fabric from the quilt back, but I was afraid the printing (and especially the image) wouldn't show up. While I was ironing the fabric, I got the idea to use the wrong side, and it worked out great.



Before day's end this quilt will be ready to go to our friends, Greg and Jan. I really hope they like it. We are going to the annual weekend get-together at their place next month, and I'll give it to them then.

Today, I'm getting ready to take off for Tacoma. There is supposed to be free wi-fi in the University of Puget Sound dorms where I'll be staying, and so I expect to be blogging while I'm gone. (It's the best way I've found to coax my feeble brain into remembering what I've learned.) I'll spend part of today packing up supplies and then tomorrow I'll pack up my clothes. It's about a three-hour drive to Tacoma from Portland, and I can't check-in at the dorms until 2:00. There's no rush to get on the road, but I'll probably give myself an hour's extra time so that I can stop off at a quilt shop. Just sayin'. If you're traveling somewhere, might as well do some retail sight-seeing as well. Who's with me on that?

And that means that laundry is on today's agenda. I still have a humongous zucchini left after relishing the zucchini yesterday, and so I'll bake some zucchini bread as well. That won't take long, and it'll give Mike something to snack on while I'm away. I've been cooking for leftovers this week, and so he'll have something for his dinner each night. Don't want him to starve while I'm away.

Also today I'm getting my post ready for the Pets on Quilt show that begins on Saturday.


And I don't think it's any exaggeration to say that it's the greatest show on earth! 

If you've been reading this blog for a while, then you might recognize this Sunshine on my Shoulders quilt finished many moons ago. (How's that for fitting two celestial bodies in one sentence?) 


And speaking of celestial bodies, take a look at Valerie's kitty, Smooth, stretched out so comfy. 


While considering which quilt Smitty and Gracie want to show this year, I came across this image on Facebook. Valerie is Matthew's girlfriend, and she and Matthew have moved into Valerie's newly remodeled home on the east side of Portland. It looks like Smooth has claimed the quilt. This cat obviously appreciates the finer things in life.

So you can consider that sunshine reference to be a hint about what quilt Smitty and Gracie have decided on. And except for the posts I've written ahead, this will be my last time writing until I start my classes in Tacoma. I'll be there from Thursday afternoon until Sunday afternoon, and I should have lots to tell you, time permitting. The weather is scheduled to be lovely. See you there.

9 comments:

andrea @ tideline quilts said...

I absolutely love your Angels Walk quilt. I love the colours, the blocks, the quilting, the binding and even the label!!!! Your friends are going to be soooooo..... happy!!!!

Jeanie said...

What a beautiful gift for your friends.... they will treasure it! Have fun in Tacoma....looking forward to hearing all about it.

Vicki W said...

What a lovely gift for your friends!

CathieJ said...

Where angels walk is beautiful. I love the idea you had to use the back of the fabric. Enjoy Tacoma.

Junebug613 said...

What a fabulous gift for your friends! I'm sure that they will love it! I don't remember the Sunshine quilt, but it's fantastic! And Smooth is as smart as he is handsome! I hope you have a safe drive, and a wonderful time in Tacoma!

Janarama said...

Your friends are going to love the quilt. What's not to love ... the name of the quilt is as fabulous as the quilt itself.

Three cheers for retail sightseeing!

You must have completed the Sunshine on My Shoulders quilt before I started following you. Loving it ... so very bright and cheerful.

Have fun in Tacoma.

Judy H. said...

You're going to be just a few miles from me at UPS! I went to college there (you'll have to mention which dorm you're staying in), and stayed in the area after graduation. I can't wait to hear your impression of the campus. I always thought it was beautiful. We live in Lakewood now (just south of Tacoma).

Snoodles said...

Absolutely beautiful finish! I know they will love it!

Michele said...

It really turned out fabulous and some day I'm going to make one too.