12/27/11

What's on your 2012 NewFO To Do List?



As promised, I'm hosting a Linky Party for those of you who want to participate in the NewFO challenge in 2012.  I'm intending for this challenge to be a do-as-little-or-as-much-as-you-want challenge.  Quilts can be of any size, and you don't need to participate each month. 

In the months you start a new project, however, be sure to check back for a linky party on the last day of the month because I'll be giving away one of these cute quilt pins to a random lucky winner each and every month.  Each pin is about two inches square.



All you need to do to win is to link up at the end of any given month.  The first one will be January 31, 2012, and there will be a new linky party posted on the last day of every month.

Today I'm listing the projects I'd like to start in 2012.  You don't have to list all twelve now.  Just decide what you'd like to do as you go along.  If there are certain quilts on your to-do list you'd like to start in the new year without fail, then take a few minutes to list them here.  It isn't necessary to join in now to participate each month.  This is just for fun.  I'll keep this linky party open indefinitely, so join in whenever you like.  (Are you getting that there are no rules for this challenge?)

Here are my NewFO's for 2012, in no particular order.

1.  Amish Sampler--I have all the fabrics I need to make this quilt.  This is one of the first quilts I ever put on my to-do list.  I don't have any person in mind for it.  My ancestry is Amish, and I love the look of the solids on black.

2.  City Tracks--An Oregon State quilt for Erik and Mae to take to football games when they go.  The pattern I would like to use is called "City Tracks" and it's from the book, "City Quilts".


I'm using this Oregon State fabric, and I have all the other fabrics I'll need as well.



3.  Flannel Rectangles--I have a bunch of flannel scraps to use.  No reason in particular for this one, except that in my family, we love the softness of flannel.  I'm embarrassed to admit that I requested flannel scraps on the Quilting Board some time ago in exchange for whatever.  A lot of people sent me scraps, and I'm only just now getting around to using them.  This pattern is available for free at All People Quilt.


4.  Wing Dreams--I'm making this quilt for a friend.  I'll be making this one from scraps left from another project.  I already have the red ranunculus fabrics, both the large and small scale.  The rest I'll supplement with other fabrics from my stash.  This pattern is available for free from Clothworks Textiles.

5.  BQ--I blogged about making this quilt months ago and never got any further than talking about it.  It's still on my list.  (Do you see why I need a NewFO Challenge?)



These are the fabrics I'm planning to use.


I don't have any person or occasion in mind for this one.  All the fabrics are ready to go.  Now I just need the motivation to start it.

6.  Love Me, Love My Cat--a Bird Brain Designs quilt I picked up at a quilt show.  When I finish up the Day in the Life of Mr. Bear quilt I'm working on, I'd like to start this one.  I like having some hand work project going at all times, and I've been wanting to make something that is purely redwork.  Oh, and I suppose it being a cat-themed quilt doesn't hurt either.



7.  White Birches--This pattern appeared in the October, 2010, issue of Quilter's World.  I just really like it.  All the fabrics are pulled together from my stash, and I've been wanting to make this quilt ever since I saw it, which would be since the October, 2010, issue of Quilter's World was published.  (Makes sense, eh?)  Again, I don't have anything in mind for this quilt, but the design has some special significance to me.  I made a stitchery for my brother many years ago.  He was fond of any sort of design that used black and white.  The crewel embroidery stitchery I made for him was of black and white leafless trees, and there was one small red bird sort of in the middle of it.  With my brother deceased since 2004, it seems like a little memorial to him.




8, 9, 10, 11, 12--Doll Quilts for a friend who lives in California.  She has a whole passel of granddaughters (including another possibility not yet born), and I said I would make a doll quilt for each of them.

So I can't say I'll get all of these started, and I certainly won't get all of them finished.  It is, however, a start to my NewFO challenge.  If I commit to starting one per month, I'll have a whole pile of UFO's in 2013!  And then I can participate in someone else's UFO Challenge.

I like to plan ahead.  How about you?

Now here's Mr. Linky.  Please let us know what you'd like to start in 2012.  I'm not using the thumbnail image Linky this time. You don't need to be as detailed with your list as I have been unless you want to.  Just give us a list of the projects you'd like to start, and we'll look forward to seeing them month by month.

Update:  Please only link up here if you are posting a list of NewFO projects you'd like to start.  Your list may be as short as just one project.  Please link to a specific post, not to your blog.  Links to blogs will be deleted.  Now here's something that chaps my hide:  some folks are using this linky party to promote their own blogging events.  This constitutes very bad manners, in my humble opinion.  Links intended to promote events on other blogs will be deleted.  (Why yes, as a matter of fact, I do feel better now.)

Mister Linky's Magical Widgets -- Easy-Linky widget will appear right here!
This preview will disappear when the widget is displayed on your site.
For best results, use HTML mode to edit this section of the post.



40 comments:

Rose Prairie Quilts and Farm said...

Oh Barbara, this is so prefect. Eventhou I have a list already of UFO's I know myself and that is I'll still start new ones and they too will end up on another list in the future. That just the way I roll. I will not disappoint you. Too many quilts, so little time

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh, this sounds wonderful! Just putting together a post for end of year - couldn't hold out to 2012! So this is good to 'kick myself' into gear and get that new sewing area finished so I am ready.

Becky said...

Oh my I love number five.Gorgeous!

Becky said...

I counted wrong,lol.I loveeee number 4, winged dreams.See thats why I couldnt quilt Barbara ha.

sunny said...

What a list! I really love the white birches. I have a list in my notebook, and I'll get it into blog form in th enext couple of days. Definitely joining in!

Wendy said...

I'm getting my list ready for a blog post too. I'm excited about this!

Wendy said...

Oh, and I meant to say...your list is giving more ideas for mine. Also, my son Erik's girlfriend goes to OSU and I've often thought about making them something for football games and such. Hmmm...see what I mean...more ideas for NewFO.

Marcia - Crafty Sewing and Quilting said...

Great idea! Count me in! I'm doing a Scrappy Quilt Challenge on Jan. 17th! Would love you to join in too!
Have a great day!

Dawnmarie's Life said...

I'm thinking that one I just started cutting after Christmas can still count as a new one for January right? I haven't finished cutting yet. . . so how crazy is it to join in on a challenge to start more projects when I'm in a challenge to finish projects? Oh well, I know I'm going to be starting more projects this year anyway. I'll start working on my list!

Pattilou said...

I've got a Christmas project on the design wall now. I would love to finish that. I've got a BQ quilt on my list too and I have two patterns, one like yours. The other one is partially cut out--just need to add one more fabric. Lots of little projects in bags and one big one a 4 piece seasons quilt set for the big wall by my staircase!

This sounds fun and it will be fun watching your finishes!

Diane Wild said...

I've been thinking about my "to-do" list for the coming year and so far have come up with two for sure. 1. Start the batik log cabin from the kit I bought at the Minnesota Quilt Show; 2. Do a scrappy quilt to clean out the enormous amount of scraps I've saved. That's a start. I'm still working on it.

Mrs.Pickles said...

great projects!! I am going to have to think of a few things and join in!

Rhonda said...

Looking forward to this challenge. I have a huge list so I put it on FO page on my blog, but I'll be updating my posts on the main page. Still have to go dig up photo's of all I want to do. I know I won't get them all started, but who knows....maybe. : )

Sarah said...

Lots to look forward to on your NewFO list. I especially like the cardinal/bare tree quilt. Can't wait to see what doll quilt designs you choose. I hope to get my list posted tomorrow...

PJ said...

This Challenge is a really great idea. I've been looking forward starting it in January. Thanks for hosting it and the prizes.

Now what should I start on first???

Kate said...

Wow, I love all your proposed projects. It will be fun to see them all come together. I'm looking forward to starting my projects. I didn't see your OSU project until after my list was made. I have all the fabric for an OSU (OK style) quilt, so maybe I'll need to add that one to the list too. it would be cool to see how we each handle orange and black.

Thanks for hosting the challenge.

Mary said...

I like this idea and want the good excuse to play in EQ7 and not feel guilty buying new fabrics this coming year. I had a list of WHIMMS Already so I'm using it.

Sand and Sunshine said...

I love the no rules bit. Sounds good to me! Hooray for celebrating starting for once.

Denise :) said...

This is such an excellent idea! I'm going to have fun with this, for sure! And from the looks of your list, you will too!! Thanks for making this an inclusive challenge, Barbara! :)

The Quilting Elf said...

I found you from Pattilous' blog and thought it was a great idea! I quilt mostly for children's charities and have lots of ideas for what to make next year. I'm starting out with just two January projects listed, but there will be more to come! Thanks for the Challenge.

Quilter In Paradise said...

Love it - I don't HAVE to finish them!

Sandi P said...

My list is up and linked to you. I didn't quite have 12. The Amish quilt you have listed has caught my eye for that black background quilt I have listed as #7. Is there a pattern or are you just planning to sort of "wing it" with different traditional block patterns and make it similar to the one you pictured?

make.share.give said...

1. a small quilt based on The Tortilla Quilt with my first-graders for Project Linus early this year
2. a Puzzle Box quilt (on modabakeshop)
3. a baby quilt for TQS contest
Happy New Year! Thanks for the opportunity to write this down- I love a list!

Teresa in Music City said...

I'm in Barbara! Starting projects is usually not a problem with me, so I should succeed admirably in this Challenge! I've posted the quilts I plan to start on my blog and put your button on there also. I think this is going to be great fun - it was even fun gathering them all up and making my list!!!

Mrs.Pickles said...

This is such a great idea....so i joined in! Thanks for hosting

Sheila said...

I have no problem starting new things so I have decided to join in. Thanks for the great idea.Sheila

Sunbonnet Sue said...

You have a nice UFOs projects.I need to make my list, take photos and to make my post about them.Great and fun idea for this challenge and very very easy to start new projects each month lol. Count me in. Suely

Paulette said...

Great idea! I am looking forward to making some NewFOs! Thanks for the challenge.

Vickie said...

Barbara, thank you for hosting this challenge! I have a few UFO's and a lot more new projects that need my undivided attention!! Let the fun begin!

June said...

I already have quite a few UFO's in the works, but am always ready to start something new! This sounds like such fun...

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

I think you drugged the water. I went back to my NEWFO Challenge post and added some maybes for this year and attached to Mr. Linky.

hafza said...

I came over from Vrooman's quilt and found your blog...this sound interesting to me.

Anonymous said...

I've officially joined. I'll try to do a post about it soon. =) Thanks Barbara!

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

Ok so I posted of LONG list of quilts I want to make this year. Right after I posted my VERY long list of UFO's that still need to be done. I think there might be something wrong with me. LOL. This should be fun.

Judy said...

It is almost sinful to have the permission to start something new every month and I do not have to finish it by the end of the month. My kind of challenge!!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

I can't wait to start some new things! I haven't sewn a stitch since before Christmas and I feel like the year is passing me by :)

hafza said...

I've commented earlier but forgot to register my name...officially joined today!! Thanks,Barbara..:}

Mhairi said...

I am in. Although I will need to finish a few projects this year. Presents for babies due etc.
Do finished tops that aren't quilted count.
Really looking forward to this.

SubeeSews said...

Boy am I ever in. I start a couple new projects every week!
XOXOXO Subee
http://www.subeesews.com

RandR Serenity said...

Hi Barbara,

Just linked up. This is easy, I start lots of new projects.
:-)
I have added your button & made this group a Label in my posts.

Hugs
Raelene