5/28/11

Foto Finish--My Garden

The theme for this week's Foto Finish is "My Garden."  I'm choosing to focus on my vegetable garden this time, but you can focus on any garden you want.  It can even be a public garden if you like.  Whatever you decide to do is entirely up to you.  Here's my entry.


This is the first vegetable garden we planted after we put up our deer fence.  We got it in late, and I made some mistakes in the way I planted it.  For example, I had in mind to plant the corn all in a row in order to provide a wind block.  (We get a lot of wind.)  That turned out to be a bad idea since the corn had problems pollinating itself that way.  The next year we got a much better yield of corn.  This garden didn't produce a whole lot because we got it in so late.  But it sure looked good!  I was more energetic about keeping it weeded and hoed in the beginning.  Later years were much weedier.  I even have a sign I plant each year that says, "Garden of Weeden." 

Our weather is so cold and rainy this year, that I'm not sure I'll plant any vegetables.  Last year's weather was cold like this year, and we barely got any vegetables at all, even after planting it twice.  It's too much work for no yield.  I'm still hopeful.  I'll give it two more weeks.  If it doesn't warm up, I'll have to be content to look at gardens from years past . . . and maybe grow some tomatoes in the greenhouse.  That'll be a new experience.

Next week's Foto Finish theme will be "Water"

Now I'm curious to see your garden shots.  Here's Mr. Linky:

5 comments:

Maree said...

I have gone with vege garden photos too. Most of my garden photos are of individual flowers. It is always great eating food that you have grown yourself.

Kate said...

It has been a slow starting season. It's been cool and rainy here, which is atypical for OK. Hope it warms up so you can make a try at the garden.

Pat said...

I love how you set your expectations high when it comes to tomatoes. Your baskets and stakes are quite tall. We don't get them quite that tall around here.

Lucky Duck Dreams said...

I love the composition of your photo! Gardens are always full of expectations and surprise.

Elaine @ Commotion said...

You have a fantastic garden!! My mom used to have one that big, but now she's got individual beds for certain plants. Much easier for her and dad to maintain. I've never had a veggie garden and I'm just really getting into a real flower garden. I'm enjoying it!!

I hope that you have a great garden. It's a great photo of your garden and it sure is promising!!