9/20/10

Design Wall Monday--September 20, 2010

I've been sick the latter part of the week, but I still managed to get quite a bit done on my "Interrupters."  This week, I had to work on the 2nd part of the Mystery Quilt being put on by American Quilter Magazine.  They say this mystery quilt will be something like the quilts featured in their Beyond the Block book.  The sections are so strange that the only way I see this working is if the longest section runs diagonally through the whole quilt.  Here is what I completed this week:


Here are all of the segments I have completed:


The large flower blocks are my focus blocks.  The long strip in the middle must run diagonally down the middle of the quilt from corner to corner.  That's the only way I see this going together right.  It is definitely a mystery.  It's my first one, and so if I wanted a real mystery, this one was a good place to start.

Also, I finished the third block of my "A Kitten's Tale" block of the month.  I took some time to read what the designer had written about this quilt.  She says she has a dog and a cat that are the best of friends.  They are both represented in the block I finished this week.  This one didn't have as much embroidery as the one I did last time, but it had enough.  Here it is:


And here are the three blocks I've finished so far:


And here's what the whole quilt will look like:


Finally, I finished the third block of my other block of the month, "Home is Where the Heart is."  I still need to stitch down the applique pieces on this one, and also on the last one I finished.  Also, there are some kite tales that need to be embroidered on the band across the bottom.  I think I will get all that done next week.  For now, I'm just trying to get caught up on these before the next blocks come (probably soon).


You can see that I have the kite tales drawn in, but not embroidered.  Here are the three blocks I have finished:


And here's what the whole quilt will look like:


Oh yes, and I almost forgot about my next Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative quilt.  I haven't started it, but I was able to get permission to quilt a painting by Synthia Saint James called "Tchokola."  When I finished graduate school, my field instructor gave me a graduation card with this painting on it.  Now that I've taken the $1,000 pledge, I've been looking everywhere for inspiration.  After doing Abe's Kittens last time (which was also from a greeting card), I noticed this one on my wall.  I wrote to Synthia to ask for her permission and she was kind enough to give it to me.  I haven't started it yet, but I did get the drawing made.  Now I can start making the templates.



I'm going to use jump chains for the earrings for a 3D effect.

So that's about it for me this week.  I'm still feeling terrible, so I think I'll go back to bed.  Hope you all are doing well.  I'm looking forward to checking out your design walls.

5 comments:

dutchcomfort said...

Wow, you achieved quite a lot. Lots of eye-candy and gorgeous quilts!

Chris said...

Incredible!! You certainly have been busy this week.

Barb in Mi said...

Lots going on! And the mystery quilt sure sounds intriguing!

Nina Marie said...

I love the Tchokola quilt. I've been designing a lot of ladies like this lately - some that are my own and some that are from painters. If you like them after this one - you can take a couple and rearrange them. I can't wait to see it done!!

Embroidery said...

Its Amazing Design i ike the way you create this...i appreciate it....Its superb....