2/5/21

Grocery Store Jackpot

Mike offered to make waffles for breakfast yesterday, and I was happy to let him. We rarely eat all the batter when we make waffles, but we always cook the last of the batter. It's easier to throw away a waffle than it is to throw away batter. With the grackles lurking around and getting into everyone's trash bags, I thought to break the waffle into pieces and throw it outside for them. Well. It was less than five minutes before the first grackle showed up.


He doesn't look very pleased with this offering.

What? No syrup?


Later, the pigeons showed up. They were less picky.


Sadie found all of this endlessly fascinating.

It was a slow day yesterday. The only thing of note we did was to shop for a week's worth of groceries. And that also brings me to the most exciting part of my day...coupon shopping. As I've mentioned, the local Smith's grocery stores are Kroger affiliated, and so I can use the same coupons I use at our Fred Meyer stores back home. I load them from the website onto my phone and into my rewards card account. Fred Meyer has been offering up a once-per-month (approximately) deal where you can get $20 off a single shopping trip that totals more than $200. We tried this at the store in Pahrump, but we came up a few dollars short when our order was totaled, and so I didn't know if the coupon would work at Smith's or not. 

Well, fast forward to yesterday, and another coupon came down. I thought my original one was still good, but I wasn't sure, and so I loaded the new one onto my card. We purchased plenty of meat this time around to make sure we got over the $200 mark. When we checked out, they took $20 off from BOTH coupons, for a total savings (with other coupons) of $48.35. Man, did we feel smug.

Back at home, I stitched the latest inchy. This one is Pistil stitch at the top of the flower there. It's a French knot with a long neck. They aren't difficult, but a little tricky to keep those loops snug around the needle. One of mine got a little twisted.


After lunch and naps, I did some stitching on my redwork piece, and this morning, I finished filling in this section of my hoop.


Now I've moved the hoop up. When this section is finished, I'll have it about half finished.


The wind has died down, and so we're planning to get out for another hike/walk today. I'm not sure what we'll do. For sure, we're going to drive over to the dam and memorial bridge for another look. Also, I'm going to try another "for two" dessert recipe. I'll say more about that in tomorrow's post.

This is a short post for me...blabbermouth that I am. It took positively forEVER to upload the pictures. We're in this park for another week. Yesterday, we considered our next stop. We had reservations at a park south of Death Valley in tiny Shoshone, California. Yesterday, we changed our minds and decided to return to Laughlin, Nevada, a place we stayed last year. I noted on my blog post from back then they had good cell signal and good internet, so I'm hopeful this issue with pictures will resolve itself within a week. If not, I might have to rethink my daily blogging schedule. 

6 comments:

Barbara said...

The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it. ~ Henry David Thoreau

gpc said...

Your inchies are adorable, and the canyon shots from your last hike are spectacular. Grackles are "junk birds" here, basically bullies and an annoyance who vacuum up the seeds we put out for the Nice birds we actually enjoy. How dare they scoff at Mike's waffles -- I almost never use syrup, treating waffles like the cookies that they are at heart. Perhaps they were not organic enough for the grackles, since that seems to be a recent rallying cry for members of the privileged bully class.

piecefulwendy said...

I saw the dessert you enjoyed last night, so I'll be watching for the recipe (day behind you know). Yes, I could go read it right now, but then what would I read tomorrow. Your stitching is looking great; those little inchies are so cute! Hope you enjoyed your hike!

SJSM said...

Oh, SNAP, gpc! I did not see the politics in that grackle. If I did, I would have come to a different conclusion.

What a score at the store. I’m glad to see you can hand sew for longer times. It must be so satisfying.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Great deal at the store! Almost makes up for having to do the whole shopping expedition. Nice of you to provide birdie entertainment for Sadie to enjoy!

Dorothy said...

Love your inches. I think I would have frozen the waffle for a later "snack" with jam. (I know you're in an RV with limited space)