2/14/21

Blustery Day

It was warm and windy yesterday. The wind blew hard all day long. In the early afternoon, it had the sand kicked up all around, and it stung our faces if we tried to go outside. Not exactly the weather we were hoping for. We could be in for another windy day today, but it's too soon to tell. 

It's the first time this trip that we've been facing in the right direction for the kitties to nap in the morning sunshine.


Sadie liked it too. With her black fur, she sometimes gets so warm in the sun, we fear she might spontaneously combust.


For a while, they even deigned to share their perches side by side.


I stitched the morning's inchy...


and then we realized we were almost out of dry cat food. This necessitated an emergency trip to the grocery store. While there, we picked up some new wheatgrass for the kitties. Theirs was pretty well nibbled down to nothing. 


They were appreciative of our efforts. It didn't work out so well for us, however. I don't know if it was the quantity or the quality of the grass they ate, but it resulted in a barf fest that lasted for several hours, with several, um, deposits by both cats. Needless to say, we picked up the grass this morning. They might have to wait until we travel back to Oregon to nibble the green, green grass of home.

Since being outside was unpleasant, I accomplished some more on my redwork piece yesterday. Learning from my previous mistakes, I limited myself to two lengths of floss yesterday. 


Today we'll have a quiet Valentine's Day celebration. I'm going to marinate some steaks for Mike to grill, and we'll have some baked potatoes. I'm also going to try out a recipe for an apple crisp for two. We'll see how that works out. The recipe says to use 10-oz. ramekins. Mine are either 7-oz. or 16-oz. I don't believe I've ever seen a 10-oz. size, but I've never really looked either. Sometimes the online recipes have errors, and so I'll see how much it mixes up to be, and then choose between the sizes I have. (I could use a cake pan too.)

So Happy Valentine's Day, everybody! I'm sending you a virtual hug and warm wishes. From what I'm seeing on weather around the nation, "warm" would be the most appreciated part of the wishes.

13 comments:

Barbara said...

To most human beings, wind is an irritation. To most trees, wind is a song. ~ Mokokoma Mokhonoana

Trudy Doiron said...

Where do you get the inchy patterns? This looks like something I would be able to do. Where can I find details of this craft?

Anonymous said...

Happy Valentine’s Day to you as well!
We had a day of freezing rain yesterday here in Central Virginia. At one point last night, we looked out the window, and as beautiful as the ice covering was on everything, making it look like the pine needles on the trees were made of crystal, it made us check our footing, while standing safely inside. It looked that slick... At that point we realized that even though our portable generator was all ready to go, if needed, getting to the garage to bring it outside to start it up, was going to be a challenge! Thankfully, we did not lose power. That, in itself, was a miracle. We don’t get this amount of ice often, but when we do, we always lose power. Temperatures have been rising this morning, so we should see some melting today.
It will be a good day for stitching today!! And that is exactly what I will be doing!!
Sandra B
scb304@juno.com

Katie said...

Oh no! Barf fests are absolutely no fun, as any cat owner knows! I hope whatever upset their tummies has subsided by now, but it does make one wonder what happened. My black kitty, Freddie, is a sun worshiper and will follow it in my sewing room or outside in the summer in his catio, napping in the beams. I wonder about him getting too warm, too, but he is fully able to move and chooses not to, so I suppose they know what they're doing! The stitching projects look wonderful and I marvel at your perseverance with them. I'm not so good with the embroidery, but one day maybe I will have the patience? (I learned it enough to quilt, though my latest project has me wondering what I was thinking!) I hope the weather improves so you can get out and enjoy some of the sunshine...once the rowdy folks head home.

gpc said...

Jack has family in Oklahoma where they tell us that it is colder than it has ever been; city pipes are freezing for the first time in their 20 eyars there and they are expecting as much as a foot of snow. Here in Michigan snowfall is less than it used to be, although it is still cold enough to amuse those brass monkeys. Whenever I see a (rare) patch of sun I want to be a cat and just lie down in it, no matter the inconvenience to others. They have priorities that I can respect. I'll pass on emulating the barf fests, however.

Kaisievic said...

I love the pics of the cats snoozing in the morning sun and such pretty redwork. Happy Valentine's Day.

Julierose said...

Our Schummee-cat used to sleep under our Morso wood stove and her fur got so hot we couldn't touch it...she just soaked up that heat...

It is a bit warmer here this afternoon--but dropping again just in time for the projected freezing rain!! Quite a year for unusual weather...
Your redwork is coming along very well...
Hope that win subsides so you can take your hike...
hugs, Julierose

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Nothing can make you run faster than the sound of a cat retch!
Happy Valentines to you both.

Darlene S said...

Glad to hear you made an emergency run to get more food for the kiddies. I would have tried to arrange a James Bond type delivery, or drone drop off, if I had heard they were running low. But very sorry to hear there was a problem with the wheat grass. I think we need to initiate an #AllCatLivesMatter movement to ensure higher standards and safety procedures for wheat grass (and anything that could go into cat tummies). I hope they feel better soon!

SJSM said...

Lovely nests inchie. It is so much fun seeing your cats hanging in the window. What wonderful sun catchers.

piecefulwendy said...

Belated Valentine's greetings, you two! Boy, you sure have had some weather fun on this trip! Catnapping in the sun sounds lovely, though. Hope your apple crisp worked out. The wheatgrass experience doesn't sound so fun, though! I'm enjoying seeing your little inchies!

MissPat said...

Ah that first photo of Smitty is a picture of true relaxation and contentment. I made bread pudding yesterday as it is one of my husband's favorite desserts and it was our anniversary. I'm not a fan. He said it tasted good, but the texture, even to my eyes, left something to be desired. Let's just say, I probably won't make another attempt. Now apple crisp I could deal with.
Pat

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I certainly don't miss cat barf-fests - yew. Must be something in (or on) that grass that wasn't agreeing with their constitutions. Sounds like it was a good plan to stay inside if the sand was blowing around that much.