2/7/21

A Slow Day

It seemed like a good day to take a little rest and recuperation. We've been pretty busy with our hiking, grocery shopping, and errands since we've been here in Boulder City. It's all good, but it was nice to have a day to chill too. I started by stitching the day's inchy.


After that, we decided to make a little trip to the local JoAnn. Since most of the projects I'll be working on while we're traveling are minis, and because space in the RV is limited, I was wishing I had along my littlest cutting mat for when I'm making those itty bitty quilt blocks. No problem. I figured I could find one at JoAnn. There's one just about 20 minutes away in Henderson, and they had just what I needed. Also...miracle of miracles...I could even use my 50% off coupon. JoAnn hadn't anticipated my visit yesterday, and so they hadn't gotten around to putting these little mats on sale yet. My coupon was good!!! (Cue the Marine Corps Band playing a march from John Phillip Sousa.) It was one of the first times in recent memory that I've walked into a JoAnn store and not come out in a bad mood. 


And that's all well and good, but I won't be using this for a while. I'm planning to sew today, but I'll be sewing together the blocks for the Charm Stars quilt. I won't need this little mat until I make another mini.

Later in the afternoon we sat outside. It was a little breezy, and so Mike built a fire in our little propane campfire. This involves turning on the gas and flipping the ignition switch.


It doesn't look like much, but it makes a nice amount of heat and keeps us warm. Also...no sparks. And no splitting of firewood. We're old and lazy that way.

When it got a little too chilly to be outside, I did a little more work on my redwork piece. It's coming along...progressing nicely. it's about half finished now.


Mike spent some time messing with the computer this morning. He was trying to get it to go a little faster. His efforts were unsuccessful. We're kind of at a place where we may have to get a new laptop. We've had this one for decades, and it simply doesn't have the muscle power it needs to run some of the more modern applications we're asking it to do.

While he was messing with the computer, I stitched the morning's inchy. There hasn't been much fancy on these so far. This one uses a tiny chain stitch for the stem of the rose.


For all that stitching, one needs a reliable stitching cat. Smitty to the rescue.


This being Sunday, I'll be linking up to:


As I said earlier, today will be a sewing day. I'm looking forward to getting those quilt blocks sewn together. They were supposed to be December's project, but then a broken shoulder and thumb intervened. Bummer. I'm glad to be making some progress on my WIPs. I'll probably do some laundry while I'm at it. Otherwise, I believe it will be another day of slow. 

10 comments:

Barbara said...

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Karrin Hurd said...

Great projects to work on!

Lyndsey said...

The cutting mat will be really useful and those inchies are so pretty. I must get caught up with them this weeks. I like your propane fire.

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

Your slow day sounds wonderful. All your embroideries are lovely. I especially like the birds :)

Julierose said...

Very pretty embroideries--love the birds..;)))
We have about 6" of snow so far and it is still coming down at a pretty good clip. Everything is coated with wet snow...very pretty really....
I managed to trim up and sew some log cabins today...they are pretty wonky though...we'll see how they do
Have a good resting day... hugs, Julierose

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I think slow days are a must in the plan. Love the little inchies. We still have snow and cold and I am just about ready for it to be over.

Little Penpen said...

Your little stitcheries are adorable. I love red work too.

piecefulwendy said...

I have a small mat next to my machine and I use it all the time. It comes in really handy. Glad your Joannes experience was pleasant. I was at ours last week and was surprised at how much has changed in the store. I did manage to get through and check out fairly pleasantly too.

SJSM said...

Your daily posts always brighten my day. Well, the news of your shoulder is the fires were an exception. It is a pleasure to follow along. The last few days have sunshine and reached 70*. We open the windows wide and freshen the house. Rain expected soon. Today our ASG group meets virtually. I’ve had to learn PowerPoint in order to keep things going. Talk about old dogs learning new tricks! It was easier than I expected. Today’s subject "Spanish Snap Buttonhole ". It’s one of my favorite alternate buttonhole methods.

Love seeing your inches and hearing Joanne’s was easy.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Slow days are the best I think. I feel about Michaels here as you do about your Joann's - mainly a lesson in frustration. Mind you, I haven't set foot inside any of those sorts of stores for over a year so perhaps (hah) they've gotten better. I love your little propane campfire - wish we could have one of those on our balcony.