1/29/21

A Little Finish

 Smitty was all over my sewing effort yesterday. Finally, something a quilting cat can understand. So, here's my little sewing machine set-up. I have windows to my left and behind me, so there's very good light.


Are we finally going to do some sewing? I thought you'd *never* get out your sewing machine!


Sheesh! My chin has been itching for weeks. Thank goodness I can give it a good scratch.


He needed to keep an eye on what was going on outside...bunnies running around and everything...and so he used his prehensile tail in yesterday's effort.


The cutting was all finished the day before. All I needed to do was to start sewing things together. I needed 36 of these little pieces. The reds are 1.25 x 2 inches. The little whites are 1.25 x 1.25 inches.


When I was finished I had 36 of these:


Then, I sewed the white pieces to those until I had 36 of these.


From there, I was ready to start sewing the quilt blocks together. My friend Sharon gave me a hint to use these Clover fork pins. They're a little fiddly to work with when you're not used to them (especially with a broken thumb), but they really help with accuracy. I think they help because you can pin on both sides of the seams you're trying to nest together, and it helps to keep the seam from getting distorted as you sew over it with the machine. (I hope that makes sense.)


Here's the first one. I made them one at a time to reduce repetitive motions for my arm and hand.


Eventually, I had nine quilt blocks, each one 3-1/2 inches.


And then I sewed those together.


And then, I added two borders, and my little quilt top was finished. It ends up 12 inches square. Cute, huh?


I won't get it quilted and bound until after we return home, but I have fabric to make a couple more minis if I want to...also lots of patterns. I just have to pick one.

As you might guess, this whole effort 'zhausted the kitties by the time we were finished. A cat can only do so much before it needs a nap.


It could be that I joined them shortly after I took this picture.

So, of course, it's raining today because we're going to drive two hours south...and we have a clean truck and a clean RV, so of course. Silly you thinking we could keep things spiffy longer than just a few days. Surprisingly, I was able to get an x-ray appointment set up for Monday with an orthopedic surgeon in Henderson...just about half an hour from where we'll be staying. If I wasn't clear about this yesterday, I'm only getting the x-ray because that's what I'd be doing with my original doctor if we were home. This is just to check to make sure it's healing properly. Yesterday's question was more about whether I could get this accomplished as an out-of-stater, and arranging it was easier than expected.

There's plenty to do this morning to get packed up and ready to head down the road again, so I'll just get to it. I'm hoping I'll get a little more time for some slow-stitching today.

16 comments:

Barbara said...

Some people walk in the rain, others just get wet. ~ Roger Miller

Lynette said...

Oh! I'm so glad it turned out easy to get your X-ray appointment set up.

Julierose said...

Oh such a pretty little mini you finished --red/white perfect for upcoming Valentine's Day...nice you could get that x-ray scheduled...
It is extrememly cold and very windy here: 8 degrees this morning with windchill of -1..brrr--so glad I don't have to go out...
Worked on 5 log cabins adding the next round of logs and hand quilted 3 more geese...and now I need a nap just like your kitties...hahaha--
stay safe on the road
hugs, Julierose

Anonymous said...

I love this little red and white quilt!
And I love the picture of the kitties napping...I noticed they both have their paws over their eyes!!
Sandra B
scb304@juno.com

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Those poor little kitties. I think you over worked them. Cute mini! Hope the x-ray shows good healing.

Jenny said...

Hoping for a good xray report, with the healing being as it should.

Christine said...

Superb cat fix! Love the stroking machine cat!
How amazing to turn those pieces of coloured material into such a beautiful work, it looks gorgeous and not just because red is my favourite colour! Had to change my whole wardrobe when I went pink haired..... I did keep one red coat . . .
Hope it has stopped raining for your journey, we have snow again, and you manage to stay relatively clean!
Safe travelling and hope you find the x-ray clinic ok.
xx

SJSM said...

Good for you getting some machine time in. Those kitties needed the familiar sound to know that they had to accomplish their work too. Such a helpful Smitty. Nap time comes more frequently for me this winter. Good to have cats who look forward to them with you.

Nancy in IN said...

Loved the minis. I have used fork pins but prefer to just pin on either side. Sometimes they meet and sometimes they don't. I am getting better since I sew 4 patches so often.
Have a safe trip.
Stay safe
Nancy

bcarlf said...

I am still a very beginner quilter, so I really admire those tiny pieces put together so perfectly. I have tried those pins and they do help, but I have decided till I have more and better experience, I will stick to much larger pieces. Love your kitties and their antics!

Darlene S said...

Lovely mini, with such perfect points (I'm a wee bit jealous). I need to sew more minis as they do help me concentrate on precision piecing. And your design is truly so sweet. I hope all goes well with your move and you enjoy your new location and do not have any wackos shooting off guns from your RV park (or anywhere nearby).

MissPat said...

I've heard about the fork pins, but have never tried them. Are you supposed to sew over them? I don't sew over pins and can't see how much help they would be, if you had to pull them out before you actually sewed the seam. Hope your travel was uneventful.
Pat

Lyndsey said...

That is a very cute mini. I fully understand how tiered kitties get when sewing is on the agenda. I find I need a nap at the end of a sewing day and Scamp and Picasso always join me.

QuiltGranma said...

Yes, those poor worn out kitties! Such hard work snoopervising what you do.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Did you see the 'palm to face' plant I just did? I learned something - namely how to use those fork pins the right way. Who knew? I have some and quite honestly thought they were rather dumb but that's obviously because I wasn't turning them the right way. Good thing I'm not too old to learn! Now, having said that - I'm blown away by the itty-bitty little pieces you're using for this latest project. My machine would gobble them up for breakfast, lunch AND dinner.

Sandra W said...

Those red pin wheels are looking good!