1/20/18

Give me a Sign

It's been a boring couple of days of driving. Pretty much all I have to show you are signs. Our first sign we were moving west was our passage into Central Time...again...and this time, we're not going back.


We ran errands along the way yesterday, first stopping to pick up our mail in Crestview. Sadly, Mike's new debit card was not there, although the PIN notification was. We called the bank and learned that it had been returned to them because it required a signature. (Sigh.) Now another one is on its way to us FedEx, and it should require no signature. Let's just hope it's there when we arrive at our spot in New Orleans next week.

After that, we did our grocery shopping, and then pulled into the local Cracker Barrel for a free night of camping in their parking lot. They were nice as could be about it, and Smitty was even able to get out for a walk there. It was a fine place for a free night, but a little noisy being right next to the interstate. Sadie was a little jumpy and anxious all night long, but she settled down for a sun bath before we took off this morning.


Smitty took it all in stride. He's always happy if he can get outside to stretch his legs a little. He prefers the quilt for his morning nap. It makes him feel like a lazy Captain Ameowica.


There was time for some stitching this morning too, and I've nearly filled in the current hooping of my design. I'll probably have moved it along the next time I report back.


Today's drive had us in three states. First, we said good-bye to Florida. And back atcha, Florida! We enjoyed our stay. We especially liked your birds. We spent more time in Florida than any place so far...nearly a full month.


And, hey, how are ya' Alabama? We won't be here long, but it's nice to see you!


It was only about an hour's drive to the western state line. Along the way, we crossed over this very long bridge at Mobile Bay. In the distance, we could see Mobile.


On the opposite side of the interstate was USS Alabama Battleship Memorial Park.


One can tour the battleship as well as the USS Drum, which is the oldest American submarine on public display. We didn't stop, although Mike admitted he would have enjoyed seeing the submarine.

Before reaching Mobile, we passed under the water through this tunnel. We had that motor home ahead of us blazing the trail and letting us know we were okay with our height.


When we came out the other side, we were in downtown Mobile, but passing through quickly on our way to the Mississippi state line.


About an hour after entering Alabama, we said good-bye, and Hellllllloooooooooo, Mississippi!


We were on our way to Buccaneer State Park on the Gulf coast. Along the way, we crossed over this river. I dare you to pronounce its name.


About another 50 miles and we headed south a short distance right to the Gulf coast.


A couple more miles, and we were there...which is to say, here.


Of course, the first priority is to add new states to the side of the RV. There you go, Alabama and Mississippi. Alabama calls itself the "Heart of Dixie." If you've ever wondered about the origin of the nickname of "Dixie" for the south, we checked with our friend Google. Here's what Google has to say about it. It's kind of a mixed bag, but it's interesting.


There's just one more new state on our agenda for this trip. Louisiana, you're next.

Here's how the map looks now. There are a few states there in the middle that are missing, but we've added quite a few this time around, along with two more of the Great Lakes.


Buccaneer State Park happens to be a good place to stay for a visit to John C. Stennis Space Center, which is the nation's largest rocket-engine test facility. Just now I tried calling the center to see if the government shut-down is affecting operations there. As it turns out, yes. It is a part of NASA, which means it will be functioning with just a skeleton crew during the shutdown. We can only guess that means the center will be closed to the public. Let's just hope our idiots, er, esteemed representatives in Congress can get their acts together enough that we'll be able to visit before we need to move along on Wednesday. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

And that's hardly a way to end a blog post, so here's something.


Congress, don't make me come over there.

18 comments:

Dorothy said...

I would love to be a fly on the wall when you march into Congress and give then a piece of your mind that makes me smile every time I read your blog.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

I wanna be a 'fly' too!! You are soo funny--I was thinking about you and your travels this afternoon when I was thinking that some of the State parks might be closed if you would be able to park where you had planned to and what other adventures you might want to see--if they would be open!!!
so am glad to hear that for the most part things are moving along on track for you and the kitties!!
enjoy, di

Sandra W said...

I just read a FB post where a woman used her marking pen to make a huge grid on a fusible. She ironed it to her fabric and poof--it disappeared--she was mad at herself! It's one of those things you never think about.
When I embroider I also fuse interfacing on the back--one of the kits I bought called for it. It is also good for loose weaves--like linen. BUT I always use a very light weight woven interfacing. I always assumed that a non-woven one would be too hard to push the needle through. I hadn't even thought of the thread showing through--so I guess that is a bonus!
The museum of collectibles--interesting but it almost seems overwhelming. As for the KKK stuff--there is a point to having this stuff to remember. At the University of Michigan there is a John Crow Museum and a very good point is made of the importance of displaying this sort of material. I haven't been to the museum but it is on my list. I learned about it when reading a novel that talked about John Crow and so I looked up the history and that's how I learned about the museum.

WoolenSails said...

Your map is almost filled up, so fun to have that and display what states you have visited.
Love that cat piece, so funny and so annoying, especially since you want to visit places that are closed.

Debbie

gpc said...

Your cat lady is adorable. Did you make her when there was a blog hop a few years ago? I made one with a six shooter and a fly rod . . . the cats, I must admit, present a more sophisticated image. :)

Angel, Kirby and Max said...

Hopefully the government will get its act together soon. military payday is coming up quickly and most of those men and women are hard pressed to have late pay. I like the quilt / cat lady!

piecefulwendy said...

Well, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be walking up there alone; you'd pick up friends along the way who'd want to join in. What a circus! Anyway, I hope it doesn't affect your stays along the way! You're going to need to make a "middle swing" to get those other states filled in!

Sarah said...

Wow what an amazing adventure you are on. We were in the USA ? Five years ago when there was another shut down....v. Annoying!

Quilter Kathy said...

Thanks for the giggle this morning! I love the ending of your post!!
Happy Slow Sunday Stitching!

Deb A said...

I think you really should go and give them a piece of your mind! I'd love to see it! Enjoy your stay and hopefully that will be open on Tuesday for you to visit.

Deb said...

Love the embroidery you are working on, so glad you enjoyed your stay in Florida, have a lovely time visiting Louisiana and thanks for the giggle.

Quilting Tangent said...

What are you going to make with all the stitching projects?

CathieJ said...

My son was visiting Washington, DC this weekend and felt the same way that you do. Thankfully you can still see many of the monuments and war memorials and he got to visit with some friends. You are doing a wonderful job of filling in that map. I wonder where you will be next. Your stitching is very pretty.

Kathy S. said...

Your embroidery design is very cute. I really liked hearing about your travels. We too travel by motorhome when we can. I want to get one of the state maps for it, but my husband says NO. Oh well... I think he wants a different motorhome...

kc said...

Love those sleeping babies!! Speaking on behalf of all FL, we enjoyed having you, thanks, and do come back when you can!

We are not find of that bridge or tunnel, nice that you had a trailblazer. I ALWAYS feel better when I see a tractor trailer pass under or through something just ahead of us!

Let us know when you plan to march; I'm happy to join with you. What a bunch of morons. Them. Not us.

Anne Kirby said...

You are hilarious, you made me LOL at work!! Glad you're still having fun, waiting to hear about the chocolate cake!!

Joni said...

Love the cat lady! I'll march beside you, too! Don't you just love the French spellings of the Indian names? Choo-Buh-fa.

quiltzyx said...

I have a few minutes this afternoon, so thought I'd better begin catching up! I work at the Colleges tomorrow night, Saturday morning & all day Sunday, so I will be back in sync again.

I have photos of the John C. Stennis navy ship - an aircraft carrier I think. Looking forward to what's coming up next!