11/23/17

Happy Thanksgiving!


And Hello, North Carolina...again!


It was a day of driving the interstate, and not much else yesterday. We saw this pretty tree at a rest stop along the way. All the leaves left in the Carolinas are this bronze color now.


Mike thought this was an elm tree, but I think it's an oak. What do you think? It has leaves like this.


We're in Wilmington, North Carolina, for the next three days...taking off for Kitty Hawk and the Outer Banks on Sunday. When we arrived yesterday, I wasted no time making dessert for our dinner today. This is the same Bourbon Pumpkin Tart with Walnut Streusel I make every year. It's so good, I moved on from pumpkin pie several years ago, and now this is my go-to dessert for Thanksgiving. You can find the recipe right here.


Usually I make the crust as the recipe dictates, but yesterday's was made with Pillsbury. RV cooking is a challenge, and pie crust is where I draw the line.

We're having a scaled down feast this year. Since I couldn't figure any way to fit even a frozen turkey breast in our refrigerator, we decided on Cornish game hens. I'm also going to bake some sweet potatoes, and make some Stove Top stuffing. Yesterday's cooking included the cranberries. I have several recipes for cranberries, but this year, we're having Cranberry Cherry Marmalade. The recipe was published in our local newspaper some years back. You can find it right here. It's one of my favorites.

Also yesterday, I took care of the vitally important task of updating the states. South Carolina has taken its place on the side of the RV.


The kitties are happy to find their catio in a less busy space. Our last spot was a little too close to passers-by, and they didn't spend much time there. They've been on the catio almost full time since we arrived here in this relatively peaceful spot, and the warm weather is appreciated too.


We don't have much planned for the next several days, except to visit the nearby beaches and possibly to tour the battleship North Carolina, docked nearby. We drove past the memorial yesterday.

This morning I stitched the last of my current hooping of embroidery.


The biggest concentration of stitching is finished now. I'll just work my way across the top and this one will be finished.


So, I'm missing my kiddos terribly, but we're ready for the day. Our feast will be smaller this year and we'll have fewer people at our table, but we have much to be thankful for. I hope your turkey is moist and there are no major kitchen mishaps.

12 comments:

Shari said...

Very impressed with what you can do on the road. Have a great Thanksgiving!

Kate said...

Sounds like you've done some new things with the traditional. Enjoy your feast and the nice weather. Happy Thanksgiving!

Jan said...

I'm having so much fun 'traveling' with you! Thank you for sharing.
Have a blessed Thanksgiving!

Jan

Kate said...

I think it's an elm, based on my knowledge after finishing a seventh grade leaf ID project this fall. Lol

Beth said...

Kindred spirits have made the last year bearable. How thankful I am for this blog, and your strong, reasonable, funny voice, and the places you've taken us all. Happy Thanksgiving to you, Mike, and the littles.
xxx Beth

Susan C said...

There are many different varieties of oaks here in SC and that appears to be one of them. Elm leaves are pointed and have a sawtooth edge. Have a happy thanksgiving, sounds like you’ve found a peaceful spot to enjoy it.

Unknown said...

You're moving right along on the new stitchery.

Those leaves do look more like Oak than Elm to me. I didn't know that Oaks changed colors like that. Guess they don't here in SoCal.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Happy Thanksgiving! 15 years ago, hubby was in Illinois, while the kids and I were still living in Tulsa, trying to sell the house. We came to Illinois for both Thanksgiving and for Christmas. Hubby was living in a 1 room long stay hotel, with a microwave and 2 burner stove (no oven). I had to be really creative with our holiday meals. Turkey slices, fried in a pan, pre-cooked rolls, and whatever pre-made pumpkin pie I could find. Jenny-O makes a great turkey breast (freezer section) that can be cooked, from frozen, in a crock pot. Even my picky son likes it. We're having brisket instead of turkey this holiday (we had the turkey last week). My mini vintage sewing machine pattern arrived in the mail yesterday. Not sure when I'll have time to get started on it.

Lynette said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Barb!

piecefulwendy said...

Happy Thanksgiving, a day late! It sounds like you four had a lovely day. Glad someone else confirmed it was an oak; it sure looked like an oak to me (sorry, Mike).

Sarah said...

I was sooooo hoping you had converted the tart recipe into a tart for 2 - I asked Santa for small pie and cake pans this year! I’ll have to work on it myself... 😀

Brown Family said...

My daughter had a smoked turkey in my freezer so I thawed it and heated it to take to her house. One dutch apple pie, one pan of fudge and fruit salad was plenty to take to her house. We ate so much at lunch that we skipped dinner!