10/14/17

Jersey City, New Jersey

It was another day of driving in four states, and for the majority of the day, fairly uneventful. When we hit New York City, though...OMG! doesn't even begin to describe it.

But let's back up to the beginning when we left Rhode Island. We enjoyed our time in Rhode Island. It was our first visit, and we came away with a very positive view of it. It's a small state, with lots of historic towns, tidy, and very pretty. And being a small state, one doesn't have to drive very far in any direction before one has left it for one of its neighbors or else the Atlantic Ocean. I think it was less than a half hour before we drove into the neighboring state of Connecticut.


We drove most of the day along the southern coast of Connecticut. It might have been a scenic drive except for the trees lining both sides of the freeway, er, turnpike. Things got a lot hairier once we crossed into New York, because crossing into New York meant that we were practically already in New York City.


Originally, our route took us on I-95, pretty much the entire distance. It was nearly 3:00 p.m. by this time, and our navigation unit helpfully tried to reroute us to avoid the worst traffic. That turned out to be a big mistake. We spent the next hour-plus trying to avoid low clearance tunnels, and not very successfully. Folks were driving by us, honking furiously, and indicating we should exit immediately. And since folks in New York City honk their horns seemingly as a requisite part of driving, we were jumpy and nervous, wondering if every horn we heard was directed specifically at us.

And what a tangled mess of bridges, overpasses, tunnels, roads, cars, and trucks. And very aggressive and rude driving. Geez. It's everything we hate about cities.


It was also dirty. This is apparently an orange cone graveyard. I've heard that they all make a final trek to the same place and their bones can be seen scattered everywhere.


After our second near-miss at driving on a road to no return, we pulled off on the shoulder of the turnpike and considered our options. We searched for apps or websites that might give us the lay of the low-lying tunnel. Then, I remembered the Allstays Camp and RV app already on my phone. It has listings of all kinds, and the ability to filter one's search desire. I've used it to find RV dump stations, and for locating campgrounds. Although it is not a "routing" app in the way Google Maps will route and give directions, it does have GPS and the ability to show us where we are and the roads around us. I could turn on a filter showing where any low-clearance tunnels were. At least with that, we knew where NOT to drive.

This is an image of the screen I was watching. The orange dot near the middle of the screen is our rig. The navigation unit was trying to route us onto that adjacent road, and there, each of the dots along the way is a tunnel too low for us to pass under without taking off the roof of the RV.


By sheer luck, we managed to get back to our original route, and we knew we were on the right track if we stayed behind the trucks. Here, we were on the ramp leading to the top deck of the George Washington Bridge. Yes! The very same bridge that made Chris Christie famous with the Fort Lee lane closure scandal!


When we rounded that curve in the image above, we found ourselves on this road. Mike had remarked that he only wanted to be driving on roads with blue sky above, and this definitely was not that. Does this look like the top deck of anything to you?


We drove along under this, ducking our heads, and keeping our eyes on the trucks when suddenly, we saw the light! Yahoo! We were on the bridge!


And, whoa! It's a pretty darned fancy bridge too.


And look over there! It's the New York skyline!


When we got across the bridge...yahoo! We were in New Jersey! It was beginning to look as if we might survive the day with the roof of the RV intact!


This indicator of the Lincoln Tunnel was also very reassuring. The bridge and the tunnel were landmarks letting us know we were nearing our final destination.


But first, they nicked us for another $5.60, and we didn't even go through the tunnel!


But, hey...we started seeing stuff that got us very excited. By "us," I mean me. Isn't that the Chrysler building there on the left?


And look at that! It's the new World Trade Center!


Seeing this sign made me want to jump out of the truck and kiss the ground...except it was very dirty, and so I resisted the impulse.


We were on the final stretch of road, but the Holland Tunnel loomed large ahead of us. We already knew we couldn't pass under it, and our road was supposed to go off to the right. We worried we had missed it, and the tunnel was right there!


And finally, at the "last exit before toll" where the maximum height was 12' 6" (and us at 13'), we came to our turn.


Just another mile or so down the road, and we were at the Liberty Harbor RV Park. It's nothing fancy, but it's home for the next four nights. This is our neighbor...that structure in the foreground is the slide of our RV.


On the other side of us...this interesting contraption. It's a Jeep trailer with a tent structure that opens out over the top of it.


We knew this park had pretty much no amenities. It's an asphalt parking lot with the RVs packed so close together we can literally reach out the window and touch our neighbor. But, hey...it has water and electric and a dump station nearby, and it's walking distance to at least three forms of public transportation. We walked over to a ferry that will take us to Pier 11 and the Financial District. There's the ferry now.


Looking in the other direction, some little tiny boats.


Beyond the ferry...the Manhattan Skyline. Whoa. It's the financial district. Wall Street. Cool.


We chuckled at this building. It kind of looks like they built it from legos, but didn't get them stacked together right.


But this made the whole day's driving debacle worthwhile. I looked off in the distance, and there she was, Lady Liberty! This thrilled me to no end.


We'll get a better look at her today, but just getting this glimpse of her back was a dream come true.

As we walked back to the RV, I took this picture so you could get a look at the park. That's our RV I've indicated with the red arrow.


Pretty well packed in like sardines, but access to public transportation makes it worthwhile. We have no interest in doing any more driving in New York City. Fortunately, when we're ready to leave, we'll be heading in the other direction.

So today, we have a tentative plan to walk to the Staten Island Ferry. We're told it's a great way to see the Statue of Liberty. From there, it's a very short walk to the 9/11 Memorial, and we'll probably do that next. From there...we'll have to see how we feel. Ellis Island is about a half hour's walk from our RV park, and so we'll do that at some point...maybe today.

16 comments:

Debbie said...

I was so tense reading about the drive in to the city, I almost spilled my coffee! So glad you have got things covered...like the roof of the 5th wheel! Oh my, never thought about the low tunnels and such. A safe arrival is good, and the sights will be better without the traffic/driving. Of course, there is always the subway...lol.

Quilting Babcia said...

Well. Now you know why we live in the boonies of Allegany County! That last photo following the truck across the bridge is a hoot! "Your last mile is our priority" should have had you both shaking in your boots!

QuiltShopGal said...

My heart began to race reading about your driving experience. Glad you are settled in for a few days and can walk or catch public transportation. Having never been to NYC, yet hearing about high hotel rates, I think in the long run you guy found a great place to stay. Amazing that there is any form of an RV park so close to everything. Enjoy.

QuiltShopGal
www.quiltshopgal.com

Ioleen said...

I was happy with sitting here enjoying my morning coffee while reading your post. What an experience!! Enjoy your time visiting and I look forward to seeing it all. Thanks for the tag along.

Judy1522 said...

Oh my gosh I know just how you felt. We drove into Flushing Queens Chinatown one time and I was a nervous wreck and wasn't even driving. I am so glad you made it to your destination without losing a part of your roof. That is so scary and I can't even imagine what you would do if you missed your turnoff. Definitely public transportation is the way to go. Enjoy your time there, seeing the Statue of Liberty and going to Ellis Island was definitely a highlight of my first trip to NYC.

Kate said...

It's been a while since I was in New York, thankfully I've never had to drive there. Glad you found a RV park that allows you to walk and take public transportation. I was wondering what would a RV park looks like that is that close to New York city.

liniecat said...

My blood pressure spiked reading your about your journey!!
Am sure youll have a great time despite the less than salubrious parking area : )
Heavens do keep those cats indoors LOL

Karen said...

Glad all ended well. My nerves would have been shot. You and Mike are far braver than I would ever be. Enjoy your stay!

Robin said...

As you probably found out NYC is dirty but has been cleaned up A LOT since the 70's-80's! All of the old, I mean old cities in the East coast are dirty. I'm talking downtown areas.Boston is Ok in tourist areas but not in the rest. Just imagine over all the years that immigrants (our ancestors) have been coming here in very large quantities. I think it is amazing what history you are walking on. That sort may have been put there by someone in the 1700's or earlier by Powhatten(?) tribes. That is how I get thru the stink & filth...Speaking of traffic all of I95 from at least CT down to Miami is extremely overcrowded esp at rush hr and it is always being fixed. Why drag those cones back to storage they were just resting until needed on your part of the road. I am grinning at your see of seeing the 2 level suspension bridges and landmarks. I guess we all did it the first time. Remember it is said if you are someone looking up their a tourist. Beware of pickpocketers. Do not give money to anyone in a parking lot who says they lost their money blah, blah, etc. It is a big scam that has been going on for years at least in this coast. My C, always nice one, always believes and gives money unless I catch him. They must know who grew up in the city vs suburbs. Keep your purse close and Mike should check for his wallet from time to time. Never carry or show lots of cash or big bills. Only carry 1 credit card. I know you are adults and have lived all over and traveled all over but I worry about anyone who is not city trained downtown or anywhere. Please do not take offense. OK have fun go to Gotham Quilts on 43rd(?) has NYC (designed for them) fabrics! You will be happy there. Can not wait to hear about tomorrow. (robinsbusiness@hotmail.com)

piecefulwendy said...

Oh, I hadn't thought about clearance for you as you drive. Yikes. But you figured it out and you made it! Yay! I hope you have a wonderful time exploring. If I were there, I'd love to go to the fabric district, Gotham Quilts, and Victoria Findlay Wolfe's quilt store, along with all the usual places. I can't wait to hear more about what you see! Enjoy!

Stitches said...

I had family that arrived in NYC yesterday also. My oldest daughter, husband, their youngest daughter and her boyfriend. It was Abby's college trip after getting her Master's Degree. Who knows you could run into each other sight seeing!! I hope you really enjoy yourselves and see lots of the things you have freaked about and I'm so glad you found the exit before the tunnel, that was nerve racking!!

Stitches said...

I hope you see lots of the things you DREAMED about, not FREAKED about!! LOL. How did that get in there??

quiltzyx said...

Whew! In one piece, arrived to your sardine can, but welcome, spot! Good thing you had already stocked up your wine...

Looking forward to seeing more of your Big Apple adventure!

Brown Family said...

My Husband has been wondering about your trailer and the low bridges and tunnels in that part of the world. When he was working up there, he noticed them. Looks like your best bet it to fins a big truck and follow it through the canyons!

You are seeing so many outstanding places.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Hubby's uncle lives in an RV. When they started out, they got a GPS unit for Trucks and RVs, that directs tall vehicles around those low bridges, etc. He said it was well worth it.

kc said...

Oh.My.Gawd. I can feel your horror - we too have seen those signs and been on those roads! (13' 2" at the time!) There's one of those last exit signs in Memphis, too. TAKE THE EXIT!

We pulled a little Scottie from VA to Boothbay Harbor, ME, long before GPS was available, using our little AAA paper maps. God only knows how we managed to get there and back, safely, no less, but we managed. All the years we were full timers, we managed with my computer and DeLorme's Streets and Trips. (no smartphones then either!) Again, we managed. NOW, tho, we have purchased a GARMIN GPS RV760 (we think) that is programmable for your preferences AND your specified vehicle size. The whole route is not so easily visible or modifiable (is that even a word??), so we still fall back on DeLorme, on my laptop, plugged into the cigarette lighter with a doohicky from Walmart, but it has made our journeys much safer and less stressful. It cost about $400, but it is priceless, imho. Oh, and when I want real-time updates, I do have Google on the smartphone to check. Definitely make use of technology!!

When I was little (and not so very long ago too), I used to hold my breath as we traveled over bridges. I always figured that if it fell, I'd have a head start on breathing. Not sure why I never figured out that I should suck it in at the very last moment...bet my parents took bridges just to have some peace and quiet..me holding my breath meant no fighting with brother I suppose.

STAY SAFE!