8/23/17

Six Chicks

There was plenty of time for sewing yesterday, so I was able to make more progress on "And on that Farm." Yesterday's task was to make the six chicks. Aren't these cute?


When the piece is all fused, I'll be embroidering eyes onto their faces. For now, I was able to fuse a few of them to the apples previously completed.



Today I'll be working on the vegetables and herbs, and I'm hoping to finish the basket. If I can get that far, I'll be able to fuse the whole thing together.

While I was working on the chicks, I was also cutting the background blocks for the Snow Globes project. Here's what the whole quilt will look like when it's finished. This image is from Crabapple Hill Studio's website.


Ordinarily, I don't pay much attention to the selvage edges, but some of you do; so here's the pedigree on the fabric I found for the background.


The object of my desire was a cream tone-on-tone that would suggest snow in some way. I wasn't picky...polka dots would have done just fine. When I saw this fabric, I knew my search was over. The snowflakes are very subtle and hard to see unless positioned correctly in the light. It's perfect for an embroidery background.


While I was inspecting the selvage, I noticed this too.


Also, I have some fabrics that will be perfect for the remainder of the piecing (when I get that far). The pattern specified 3 1/4 yards for the pieced portions of the blocks and the binding. I only had 3 yards of the polka dot on top, but if I run short, I can use the stripe at the bottom for the binding.


While I was futzing around looking for fabrics, my furry furriend came in to check out the status of his catnip bowl.

Do NOT snap that flash at me!


Of course, I always ignore these requests for no flashing and take the picture anyway. From there, we got on with the helping portion of his visit. Cats are very helpful (and trusting) when it comes to cutting.


Fortunately, I convinced him to moooove along, and I was able to finish cutting the background blocks and backings for the whole project. Now my take-along project kits are complete and stacked for packing in the fifth wheel (packing to commence shortly).


The embroidery projects are on the right. The yellow sack in the middle contains some small quilt kits, and those two bins on the left are completed blocks and fabrics for some large quilts that need to be sewn together. There is no effing way I'll get all of this done on our trip, but you wouldn't want to run out of sewing projects while on the road, now would you? That would mean trips to the fabric store, and fabric acquisition runs, and more thread, and, and, and....oh...wait a minute. Maybe I should rethink this strategy.

So I'm moving right along with the last of the Hocuspocusville blocks (top left bin in the image above). My goal is to finish it by the end of August.


It's a small block insofar as the quantity of stitching, and so I'm feeling optimistic. That's next on my list for this morning.

While I'd hoped to put off grocery shopping until Thursday, today seems like a fine day, and so I'll fit that in too. Other than that...NBS. Just the kind of day I like.

11 comments:

Julierose said...

What adorable chicks; and I LOVE your snow globes--you did find the perfect fabric for the white on white...lovely stuff you are working on...hugs, Julierose

Cathy Smith said...

Personally, I think you should get all of your tools loaded into the 5th wheel then "conveniently" forget the majority of your projects. Nothing more fun than exploring the quilt shops along the way! Hehehe!

Lyndsey said...


Love the chicks and I have the snow globes on my wish list. Love your fabric choices for the snow globes, it will look fabulous when finished. I like your project packing and it's always best to be fully prepared for all eventualities and sewing moods when going on a long trip. You'll still have to to do a bit of fabric shopping or stroking whilst away after all it would be rude not to visit some new to you shops.

Sarah said...

Here's hoping you don't have enough of the other fabric and *need* to use the stripe for the binding. I loves me a striped binding!!
I tend to over pack (double-pack) hexie projects for my trips - I completely get the needing it all concept.

WoolenSails said...

Those chicks are so cute, would be so cute on their own too, for a baby quilt.

Debbie

Brown Family said...

Cute chicks! I like the one that has his leg kicked out to one side! I don't think you could have gotten closet to fabric that looked like it had snowflakes! The stripes would be a great binding! Angel and Kirby are both that trusting when I am sewing, cutting, or ironing! they scare me, but they do not seem to have a problem!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Cute little chickies! Luckily my furriends stay away when the rotary is going - they know to stay away from Mamma when she has sharp objects in hand. Wow, packing for the big event - so close!!

Kristin said...

I've been wondering - how do you store your stash? I have a dresser that I use, but it's to the point of being too small. With our location, going to IKEA for cabinets is out of the question, too.
Just looking for ideas. Thanks!

cnsews1 said...

Kristin, how about a bookshelf? I bolt my fabrics on 8.5 x 10 inch pieces of cardboard and store them like books on a bookshelf. I can see everything at once!

And Barb, what do you do with those selvages?? I use them to make things!

piecefulwendy said...

Those little chicks are very cute! Isn't it great fun to find just the perfect fabric - I like the little snowflakes. I have some Bunny Hill fabric too; it's such cute fabric! Can't wait for you to begin your road trip -- those projects all packed up is exciting!

Kate said...

You are really moving along with several projects. Those chicks are really cute. Hoping you get your to do list all wrapped up before you have to leave.