8/17/17

Finishing Touches

Time is growing short before we leave on our big trip around the perimeter of the United States. There's lots of preparation going on for that trip, including trying to finish up some close-to-the-end projects. Yesterday I was able to put the finishing touches on the Summer Holiday quilt. I needed to piece together and sew the outer border on, and then the top was finished.


As I mentioned yesterday, I was kind of excited about the idea I had for the back. There is another of Lynette Anderson's quilts hanging in our basement family room. This one was finished way back in 2011, called "A Kitten's Tale." It was a block of the month. It's one of Mike's favorite quilts.


When I made A Kitten's Tale, I had the perfect fabric for the back already in my stash, although not enough. Thankfully, I was able to order another bit of yardage, and this was the quilt back for it.


There were still some rather large cut-off sections left in my stash, and so I pieced them together with some scraps from the quilt top. Stuffed in the closet were a couple of orphan quilt blocks in the right colors as well, and so I ended up piecing all of it together for the back of Summer Holiday. 


It didn't turn out exactly as I envisioned it, because I didn't sew it together quite the way I intended. Still, I'm happy with it, and I'm not even going to tell you how I think it could have been done differently. In this case, the quilting gods have spoken, and one must never anger the quilting gods.

Also yesterday, I rounded the third corner on the Bee Loving quilt binding.


This one will probably be finished this morning.

That brings me down to one last thing I'd like to finish before we leave. I'm really hoping to finish off the last embroidered block for Hocuspocusville, but I'm not sure that's realistic. I can always take it along, and that's the plan if I fall short of a finish. Except for that, it feels as if I have all free sewing now...meaning, I'm free to do whatever strikes me. Nothing else is close to a finish, and so I'll just plod along on the WIPs until it's time to go. For today, I'll get caught up on the Monday Mini's. I'm two blocks behind on those.

My neck pain is nearly gone now, and so there's really no excuse not to catch up on the housework I put off yesterday. Despite that, there will be plenty of time for sewing.

10 comments:

Dorothy said...

Summer Holiday is too cute, and I love the back. (pieced backs are my favorite)

gpc said...

You do such an amazing amount of work, says I as I lie on the couch making lists of things I should be doing . . . I love your pieced back, and the Bee quilt is going to be a beauty for sure. How exciting to be on the travel count down!!! My couple of weeks away this summer are slowly teaching me, I hope, how much unwanted clutter is in my house. I didn't miss a bit of it while I was gone, which I am thinking means it is time for much of it to go. Maybe, after my next week away, I will be able to muster the energy to make a dent in that endeavor. And you are partly to thank because you are my travel guru. :)

WoolenSails said...

Love the quilts and those are fun designs. I still have a few copies of her signed books when I did some punch for it. And I love that background fabric, really nice print.

Debbie

Brown Family said...

I have not had time to do the last block in Mini Monday! I hope there is going to be a layout or suggestion on how to put them together!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

The pieced back if perfect for Summer Holiday. You have done well on your list. Wow, the big trip is fast approaching!

claudia said...

WOW! Fantastic progress! Everything looks great!

piecefulwendy said...

What a great idea for the backing! A great way to use up those stash pieces. I'm so excited for your trip and your posts that will be coming!

Debbie said...

I love mixed up and pieced backs for quilts. They always end up as favorites for me. Glad your pain has improved and won't stop you for long.

Dana Gaffney said...

You should probably put off doing the housework just in case physical labor brings back the pain, you don't want to miss the eclipse because you can't move your neck.

Maria said...

am green with envy looking at your cat´s fabric. I love the bee quilting, as I told u before. Hope you can get all the things you want before your trip.
big hug