7/23/17

Powerless

The power was off the entire effing day yesterday. It went off around 8:30 a.m. and didn't come back until 5:35 p.m., just as we were heading out the door to get dinner out somewhere. We made due with a small generator. It got fairly warm in the afternoon, and so we unplugged the internet and the laptop and plugged in the refrigerator and freezer. The laptop was our lifeline throughout the day...seriously. How did we ever live without internet? My pulse was weak and thready by the time the power came back on. (I don't even know what that means, exactly, but I've heard it on TV, so it must mean something bad.) Anyway...

After the power had been off for several hours, I checked in with the Newberg-Dundee Citizens Info Group. It's a whole citywide group of gossips, and they always know what's going on. Sure enough, someone had posted this image:


Word was that a semi hit that power pole, and so I guess it took them the whole day to repair(?). Whatever.

Hand-stitching was the activity of the day. I'm closing in on the finish line for Mumm's the Word now. Perhaps the gods of power knew this and decided it was time to crack the whip. (Whips do not require electricity, so it only makes sense.) After stitching and stitching and stitching for hours, I had taken it this far.


And remember where the finish line is?


I'll admit that I'm pretty stoked about having this so close. Since I started this quilt way back in 2012, it's high time to get it finished.

After hours of hand-quilting, I was thoroughly sick of it. That was when my pulse started to grow weak. I flopped around on various pieces of furniture wishing with all my heart that the power would come back on so I could run the vacuum. Ha! As if! Obviously, my sanity was waning by that time too. After a while, I got out the latest embroidery block for the Summer Holiday quilt, and now it is well along too.


There is just one more embroidered block for this quilt to be finished. This one was being saved for our camping trip next week, but I think I'll make up the next one to take along too. That should keep me busy. The pieced blocks are finished for this quilt, and so I just need one more embroidered block before it's ready to be sewn together.

A couple of utilitarian projects are quickly moving into the panic zone. I need to add hanging sleeves and labels to my two quilt entries into this year's Oregon State Fair. I didn't enter any quilts last year because the timing was off for our travel schedule. This year, I can just squeeze in the drop-offs and pick-ups between trips, and so I've decided to enter Gingerbread Square


and Snips and Snails.


Let's hope these are winners. Snips and Snails is a small quilt, and so adding a hanging sleeve won't take long. Gingerbread Square, on the other hand, is fairly large. These need to be dropped off in Salem on August 11th, and so time's a wastin. That needs to be next on the list. (I would have done it yesterday, but see power outage above.)

Today I actually do need to run the vacuum, and I need to make a short trip to the grocery store to get some food for our camping trip. There should still be plenty of time for sewing, however, and so I'll just get going on my day.

12 comments:

liniecat said...

LOL its abit scary isn't it if there was no power and we had to go back to them good ol' days - hell, wed have to actually talk to people!
And some of them we'd soon be giving their horoscopes to, since some are brainless at the best of times : )
You see.......... hand stitching rules when all else fails
- and gin to be fair.
Mums the Word is smashing!

Lyndsey said...

Great hand stitching going on there. It will be lovely to see Mumm's the word finished.

Cathy Smith said...

Isn't it strange how when we can't do something we probably wouldn't be doing anyway we are desperate to do it? I'm sure the frantic urge to vacuum waned with the arrival of the electricity!

Julierose said...

Gosh you have so many lovely projects on the go!! don't like hearing about that thready pulse...lotsa water and cool wet facecloths if the heat is that bad...
hope you're feeling better now...
Just love your multi blocks quilt--so cheerful especially that hearted kitty
hugs, Julierose stay cool....

gpc said...

Your entry quilts are lovely and sure to please -- my money's on Snips and Snails for most prestigious honors . . . You are very productive on your non power days. When things go south here, I just use it as another shabby excuse to be a slacker.

claudia said...

That must have been what caused a split nano second of a power outage way up here. I swear, it wasn't even long enough to knock everything out. The stove clock was flashing and the TV went black and the computer hiccupped, but that was it. I was like...OhKay, what was that?

quiltzyx said...

Glad the power is back on - and that you have a back-up generator too.

Mum's the Word is sooooo close - way to go! I have a crochet project to finish up tonight, when I get home from work. Leftover Pieology pizza from a lovely dinner out last night with friends, so easy peasy.

I know you'll have those hanging sleeves done in no time. Folks attending the quilt display at the Fair will be in for a big treat this year!!

Brown Family said...

A nine hour outage is not fun. At least you had things you could do that did not need power, well except human power! Mum's the word will be rolling over the finish line soon!

piecefulwendy said...

Sorry about the power being out; not fun at all. Especially when you really want to vacuum. You made some good progress on your hand sewing though! Hope your quilts do well at the fair!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I'm always greatful for handwork to work thru those times. A fridge and freezer are more important items to use the generator for rather than a vac.

Nita said...

I've watched you build Snips & Snails in complete fascination. It's marvelous! You'll get the blue ribbon for sure (blue is first place, right? Or is it red?)

Natureluvr57 said...

It's aggravating but thankfully it wasn't off for days. They have flooding in Northern Illinois-residents are taking boats to get to higher ground and go to work (so the news says). It's sad to see so many flooded out. We had high winds and lost power for a few hours. We only had to use our LED lantern for about a half hour so I could hand stitch. When the power came back on my lamp and other items plugged in a surge protector wouldn't work-inside it was all black. Thankfully I had a couple new ones on hand. Scary though.The lightening fried my friends outlet once-melted the plug inside the holes. No one likes our area anymore so instead of housing going in, the warehouses are taking over. We have two race tracks. All just a few miles down the street. Then they decided to build an Intermodal Center for all the semi's and trains to meet. It's been a nightmare since. I avoid that highway at all costs. Truckers are not friendly helpful people like they were in the 70's and 80's. They will literally run you off the road anymore. Both lanes are like a big giant convoy. And the noise. One day we lost power and yes, a semi hit a power pole and knocked it over. It does take a long time to safely unhook all the cables and erect a new pole, then put a new pole up. A big inconvenience but as long as I'm not hurt, I'm thankful.