4/27/17

Retirement! It's almost here!

It's just a hair's breadth away! This evening I'll head out for a little retirement send-off from Mike's company. Nothing fancy, but we've gotta honor the old man with something, don't we? I offered to bring this picture of Mike at the beginning of his career:


Yes, it started before the fall of the Roman Empire! He's aged pretty well considering. Fortunately, he's made a few improvements to his wardrobe as well. So anyway...a half day tomorrow and school's out forever, as the song says.

Today I'm heading off to see my PCP for an annual physical. As far as I know, I should be in ship shape, and only a little bit resembling an actual ship. It means no coffee for me this morning...whaaaaaaaaaaaaa! After that, I need to drop off a parcel at the post office and then make a quick trip to the grocery store. This will be my last grocery shopping trip without someone else to push the cart and help me put stuff away. Yay! That makes up for the lack of coffee.

When I get home, I want to get a loaf of sandwich bread started, and I'm going to make the crust for a lemon meringue pie. Here's a picture of the one I made last year for Pi Day:


It was only my second lemon meringue pie ever, and so today's will be the third. I'll probably stop counting after this. (In case you're wondering, I stopped counting calories long ago.) We're not having a party for Mike's retirement beyond the one his employer is giving him. (Our trip south next month counts as a party.) Instead, we're celebrating with pie. And as long as he'll be wanting lunch, he gets freshly baked sandwich bread too. Do I know how to spoil the guy, or what?

As for yesterday's comings and goings, I picked up some beautiful veggies from the farmers. Given the pie, it's probably just as well. I've missed them so much.


There was some stuff that was new to me...pea shoots, for example. I've eaten them before, but never prepared them. Also, purple sprouting broccoli...never had it, don't know yet what to do with it, but I'll figure it out. The rest were mostly old friends.

Also, I started the latest Solstice Block. Each time one of these is released, I start whining, do I hafta? I'll admit I like those friendship stars, but five in one block. Oy. That's a lot of half square triangles. This one is called "Board Games."


It's a large block at 24-1/2 inches square. Mine is going to be made in colors to celebrate Earth Day. It was a choice between making the block and dusting and vacuuming the downstairs. Which do you suppose I chose? Yes, sewing, but I told myself I had to stop in time to vacuum and dust before I went to pick up the veggies. With that in mind, I got as far as having the pieces all cut, half square triangles sewn and trimmed, and strip sets made. When I needed to quit, I had it laid out for sewing.


Ever the optimist, I laid my largest rulers over the top to avoid, um, reorganization by some very efficient furriends.


That lasted long enough for me to set a stool up on the table in preparation for running the vacuum.


And, whoa. Look at that floor. I'd say it needs vacuuming. Messy quilter at work, obviously.

The only other thing I accomplished yesterday was to make my way nearly halfway across the second border on Mumm's the Word. I'm kind of surprised how quickly this is going.


And I reached a milestone by using an entire spool of DMC thread. Sadie wanted me to tell you that the remaining spool makes an excellent cat toy.


Finally, I noticed that one of the cherry trees is in full bloom.


Sadly, with all the rain, I doubt we'll see many pollinators out flying around. The raccoons are going to be furious at not getting any cherries this year. As for us...well, thanks to raccoons, it'll be a cherry-less season just like any other. And I'm not just kidding about the rain. Yesterday, we learned that we've had the 2nd wettest winter/spring in 75 years. You can read all about it right here. And that makes me kind of mad, because if we're going to have that much rain, I want to at least set a new record. Sheesh. 

Okay, so time to get a move on. The blood suckers are waiting for my veins to reveal themselves.

20 comments:

Calicojoan said...

LOL!! Your photo will certainly be the hit of the party! Happy retirement Mike. Hit the road in your new camper and have the time of your life.
;-)

Quiltdivajulie said...

The Big R day is coming soon at our house too. August 1 is the last official day of employment (June 5 is the last day in the office). Congratulations to Mike and to you . . . here's to the ongoing adventure!

Janet said...

Lots happening in your life! Beautiful vegies (thanks to the rain I assume). Interesting and complex block. I like the colours you chose.

Lyndsey said...

I am so jealous of your veggies. I love purple sprouting broccoli, it is just delicious and I'm sure you'll like it. Happy retirement Mike, (I love the photo).

allthingzsewn said...

Congratulations to DH and I agree with Joan, besafe and have the time of your life. By the way he was a cutie how about an after picture, well maybe not. I get frustrated sometimes on how well the men age compared to us and this has been a good morning. Let's just keep it that way. 8-)

QuiltShopGal said...

What a cute post. So happy that the big day is on your doorstep. May this next act of your play (life) be a healthy, enjoyable, creative and long run with plenty of adventure and travel too!

QuiltShopGal
www.quiltshopgal.com

Lynette said...

Oh, I dunno - he's looking rather smashing in that toga. Might be a good retirement wardrobe option. :D

Marlene said...

I'm sure that photo will be a hit. Happy retirement to Mike and here's to many aadventures ahead for you both travelling in the camper. What an amazing selection of vegetables you got-good balance to that wonderful pie!

claudia said...

I can feel Mike's excitement from here...yours too! You two are going to have such a wonderful time from here on out. Not that I think it was any less than that before, but this is a whole new chapter, with lots of adventures ahead! ENJOY!!!

Ray and Jeanne said...

Congrats to Mike on his retirement and to you - the best is yet to come! Enjoy! ~Jeanne

QuiltE said...

Great photo of Mike! You really should get a a matching pic this weekend of him. Like a before and after. ..... then there is the placement of that beer bottle!!! :) Oh My! Happy Retirement ... to the two of you. ENJOY!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

How exciting for both of you - well deserved rest and traveling adventures to come. Boy those fresh veggies look awesome! We just learned one of our crop farmers in not going to have their roadside stand anymore so will have to look else where for those goodies. There are plenty around, just not paying the prices at the tourist trap ones we have in the area.

Brown Family said...

I take the ruler precaution, too! I have also taken photos, when I have a complete quilt laid out on the bed! Saves having to redesign! Beautiful veggies!

I hope you had a good time at the party!

Beth said...

Mike's big day has arrived, so I'm popping in to add my good wishes to all the rest! How exciting. Can you believe it is finally here, after all the counting down and anticipating? (Not to mention, after the decades of work, and years of education?) Hooray for both of you, and three cheers for the adventures ahead.

Debbie said...

I love the bit about grocery shopping with a helper! Just don't let it be the high point of the week....congrats on the last day of work. Enjoy!

Dana Gaffney said...

Congrats to both of you! and nice picture :)
What's the flowering thing in the farm feed picture?
The terrible twins think that empty spools are awesome, especially the cone ones, the two of them never get into my trash, but I find the empty spools outside all the time. I guess they figure I made a mistake and they fix it for me.

piecefulwendy said...

So you're not going to recreate the toga shot? That's the thing nowadays, right? Hehe. So happy for you two! That pie looks delicious! I don't know what to do with purple broccoli either, but I'm sure you'll make something yummy. Glad Sadie was taking care of those Solstice blocks. That one is a big block! Oy!

Dar said...

That is a cute photo of Mike in his toga. I can see how you two were attracted to each other. I think it's only fair to have one made for his retirement photo for the family photo album.
That pie looks delicious and perfect. Bet it tasted even better. That is one of my favorite pies too. Best wishes to you both for your future adventures into retirement. You will have a blast.

quiltzyx said...

As a Past-President of the Latin Club at WCHS, I approve of Mike's toga! LOL

That is a BIG block - FIVE Friendship stars, sheesh! Looks good and I see Sadie approves too.

The pile of veggies is so pretty. I do get tired of food allergies, I tell ya.

Junebug613 said...

Oooohhhh, Pie! You are the optimist, as if you can cat-proof anything! Ha ha!