2/26/17

Bordering on Finished

Yesterday I was able to sew together all the blocks for the Bee Loving quilt. The two top rows were already finished, and the third row went on fairly quickly.


In this middle of sewing the third row sashing together, I got an idea from a comment my friend Sharon left on Friday's post. Remember this message from the selvage edge?


 Sharon suggested using it in the quilt label. As I was sewing the sashing blocks together, I thought, why not put a secret message right in the middle of the quilt? I had barely enough room to do it, but I trimmed one of the sashing blocks and then sewed the message to the bottom. Since I was right at that fringe edge of the fabric, I used some fray check to buff it up some.


Then I sewed it where it will be almost dead center in middle of the finished quilt.


It's a secret message for someone with sharp eyes. It makes me wish I had a teenaged girl to give this to.

From there I continued on with the fourth row. I waited until I had the fifth row finished before I added the bottom two rows to the top three.


Finally, all the blocks were sewn together.


That was enough sewing for one day, but I laid it out with my chosen border fabrics to see how it looked. I chose that yellow fabric in the sashing for its red spots. I thought they'd go with the red in the outer border. Nevertheless, when I laid these out together, I didn't like the looks of it.


Smitty didn't like it either.


So then I laid the remainder of the bee fabric down for the outer border instead. I like that much better. There's plenty, and so I'm going to use that instead.


I like it better too. It matches the colors in my furs.


So there you have it. Today I'll get those borders sewn on, and I'll do the newest pile of laundry while I'm at it. Also, there's bread to be baked. And then there will be bread to be eaten. It's a busy life, I'll tell you.

15 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I love how you added the selvedge bit into the quilt. The bee print does look nicer as the outer border - good pick Smitty.

Cathy Smith said...

I cast my vote with Smitty! He ALWAYS has impeccable taste in such matters!

Sandra W said...

Yes to the bee border. The floral introduced too many new colors. I have that been fabric as well--love it. I've got a variety of bee fabrics--love them. A honeycomb print would have worked too.
The secret message is a good idea--gives the quilt something unusual and clever.
Oh, I love your cats. Smitty is adorable here, as always.

Angie in SoCal said...

What a darling quilt - yes to the bee fabric.

claudia said...

You always have the cutest ideas! I love the secret message!
I agree with you and the other ladies commenting...the bee fabric is great!

Lyndsey said...

I completely agree with you and Smitty, the bees look better for the border. I love that you fitted in the little message. Dear Smitty has such a responsible attitude towards his job of helping with the quilts and his expertise in all things quilty is amazing. Love the quilt.

Unknown said...

If it's not too late I'm thinking you could pick up the red you were after with a tiny flange between the borders. I love this quilt, it's so cute.

Shirley said...

The quilt is just beautiful! Love the secret message. The second fabric choice for the border is perfect. Funny how once the top is constructed what appeared to be a good selection for borders doesn't work. I never precut borders for that reason. Guess you will be having a quilting marathon soon with all these finished tops.

quiltzyx said...

Great idea adding your secret message to the sashing in the center of the quilt. Very arty....

gpc said...

Love it! And the bee border positively buzzes with excitement!

piecefulwendy said...

The bee border is very cute, and I'm glad Smitty approves. What a cute quilt! What bread is on the menu for today? We've been watching the Great Britain Baking Show and now I've a yen to make english muffins :-)

heartsease54 said...

The quilt is terrific and I don't think you could have better fabrics for your sashing and borders, they are purrfect.

beaquilter said...

That's Bee-utiful! great job. looks just awesome

Brown Family said...

That will be a fun secret message in the quilt. I like the bee fabric for the outer border, too!

Kate said...

Bee Loving turned out beautifully. I really like your hidden message in the middle, what a great addition.