10/7/15

A Little of This, A Little of That

It was a day of eclecticism yesterday. I did a little of everything, starting with housework, but not too much. One should never do too much housework in a day...that's my motto. Before I started that, however, I was able to finish the second block for Hocuspocusville:


It's the perfect October block, don't you think? These are so much fun to work on, and I find myself asking over and over again, how come Meg Hawkey (the designer of these blocks) got all the imagination and creativity? Huh? It seems to me some of that could have been spread around a little better. Just take a look at Block 3 for this quilt. I'll be doing this one next time around.


I just love her patterns. I've linked to her website there, but you might want to hide your credit cards from yourself before you visit. Not too long ago, I made the mistake of following her Facebook page. She has a very bad habit of tempting me with whatever new pattern she's working on...and I am nothing if not a slave to temptation. Plus, my credit cards are very ill-behaved. 

So with that one done, it was time to get a start on my not-too-much housework plan for the day. Only...how could I do that when there were cookies to bake? I tried a recipe I found online for Zucchini Breakfast Cookies. Now, here's the thing: I keep telling myself that when I find a recipe on a blog, I should immediately discard it if the list of ingredients is not written properly in the order said ingredients are used. And this was one of those recipes, but I was already in the process when I realized it. So I went ahead and baked them off:


They look okay, but really, the best I can say about these is that they are edible. Possibly, they make a good vehicle for chocolate chips. Otherwise, they are bland and tasteless. For a cookie, I suppose they're healthy enough. In my humble opinion, however, they're a baker's variation on a WOMBAT (waste of money, batting, and time). I won't be making them again. It was a valiant effort to use zucchini, however. I'll give them that. Perhaps it was my punishment for putting cookies before housework.

And I was so bereft with disappointment over my cookies that I decided to do the housework, just to cheer myself up.

After that, I got to work on making up another block for the Live, Love, Teach quilt. I had every intention of finishing the one I made last week before the weekend was over. 


Since I didn't even get a start on it, I decided to make up a second one with a goal of finishing both before this coming weekend is over. With that goal in mind, I made up Frederick's block:


I've had the "beta" version of the block in my sewing room for a couple of weeks at least, and I've been trying to figure out how to do it. Since the cookie is key, I've been trying to figure out how to make the cookie look like something other than an orange circle with brown blobs on it. In the end, I decided to print the cookie onto fabric and applique it to the background. Then I traced the lettering and signature for embroidery. Here's the block I made.


Now that the Hocuspocusville block is finished, I got a start on the "mission" block this morning.


After I'd finished my not-to-much portion of housework yesterday. I finally, finally, finally got to work on the next section for the Mumm's the Word quilt by Debbie Mumm. 


It's been on my list of goals for months. First up, was to make 11 Ohio Star blocks, and those are finished now.


This section will be finished when I make nine 4-patch blocks, and those are next up in my sewing room.

Today I'm getting my hair permed, and you know how much I hate perming sessions. Nevertheless, my hair is looking like sh*t, and so I'm kind of looking forward to it. Hopefully, it will look better when it's finished. My appointment is early, and so there should be some time for sewing when I get home.

11 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

The next HocusPocus block just cracks me up!! Those cookies do look a little too 'healthy' - melt some chocolate chips and drizzle each. Chocolate makes everything better and is a health food - right?

Quilting Tangent said...

The fly through is so cute and funny. :)

Dana Gaffney said...

You were all over the place today, but it looks like fun. Housework! I have company coming on Friday and will do it all in one day since none got done today,

Celtic Thistle said...

The Hocuspocus blocks are brilliant I think my credit card is about to take a hit too :)

Quilter Kathy said...

Doing housework to cheer yourself up?!?!? What is going on over there?!?! LOL
Love the stitchery block!

gayle said...

I really enjoy watching all your projects. Good thing you got to have some fun to offset that pesky housework...

Kate said...

The Hocuspocusville blocks are so fun. Sorry the cookies didn't turn out better. At least they were edible.

Sarah said...

I love your blocks, such fun! Im going to go back and take a look at the website (credit card in other room.......ummm lets see how long it stays there!)

Jackie said...

Love the Hocupocusville blocks! The cookies - not so much.. (Your blog post made me laugh!!)

Cathy said...

So many fun things going on! I adore the Hocuspocusville blocks. Adorable!

Lynette said...

Oh - look at the cats hiding in Mumm's the Word! The mission block is coming out fantastic. :D