7/1/15

July Goals and Progress Report

Time to confess my sins. By that I mean time to admit to all that I didn't finish during the month of June. It turned out to be an extremely busy month and I had a lot more non-sewing days than I anticipated. Not sewing does not make me happy.

Quilting and Flimsies

1. At the tippy top of my list for June is to quilt the Doors of Ireland quilt. I want this one finished so that I can enter it in the Oregon State Fair at the end of summer. No Progress.

No regrets about this one because my priorities changed mid-month. I realized I can only enter four quilts in the Oregon State Fair, and my dance card is already full with these four quilts:


Instead, I did this little flimsy in the Over the Moon table runner when I took a class on inset circles.


So...I get some points for at least doing something.

Swaps and Monthly Challenges

2. I'd like to finish two blocks for that. I need to make the green block for May and then whatever color is planned for June. Complete!



3. I'll need to make two blocks for my block bee, and I believe this is the final month for this year's bee. Complete!




4. I always like participating in the Block Lotto, and I'll try to get a block made for June. Complete!


This month's block was made in pairs.


WIP's

5. I'm still wanting to finish up the section I've started for a Quiltmaker's Garden (pictured above), and so I'm going to continue eating that elephant one bite at a time. Thankfully, Complete!




6. I want to stay on track with the Live, Love, Teach quilt for my friend Lisa. My goal is to finish blocks 19 and 20. Complete!



Finally, I need a project for



and I have absolutely no expectation of getting this far. That won't stop me from setting a goal of at least getting a start on a new baby quilt I'm making for my friend Carol in Colorado and her new little grandson. Grayson's quilt is this "To the Rescue" quilt: I said I would "get a start" on it, and so I can call this goal Complete! It's all cut out, and I've got a good start on the applique.





So let's get on with plans for:


July is always a busy month for us here in the good old USA. Our 4th of July independence day celebration just happens to be one of my favorite holidays. We always spend ours watching fireworks on the east bank of the Willamette River with our family, and it is one of the best days of the year.

With that in mind, I'm going to switch things up a little with my goals for the month. Instead of planning quilting, flimsies, blocks, etc., I have some special projects I'd like to work on in the time's a-wastin' category.

Quilting and Flimsies

1.  Quilt and bind the Over the Moon table runner so that I can show it off at the July guild meeting on July 20th. (Pictured above.)

2.  Sew into a flimsy the "To the Rescue" baby quilt for my friend Carol's first grandson. If I get it finished, it will look something like this:



3. At least get a start on sewing together the "Vintage Tin" quilt I'm making for Erik's October birthday. It will look something like this when it's finished.


Special Projects

Do you think taking classes is a hassle with all the packing up and keeping track of supplies one needs to do to participate? I sure do. With that in mind, I'm pulling out some old patterns I've been hanging onto for a while. 

4. Complete this Quilter's Tool Tote from Enchanted Valley Arts. I saw this in a quilt shop a while back and what a handy tote! It holds a half-sized cutting mat and a 6 x 24 inch ruler with pockets for smaller rulers as well. Aren't those things the hardest to pack along for a class? They're so awkward and, well, breakable.


5. Also, complete this "Chatelaine" around-the-neck tool belt. Did I ever tell you that I think men wearing tool belts are very sexy? No? Ahem. Anyhooo... Won't I be the envy of all my guildy friends sporting this fancy dancy thing? I purchased this as a kit when we were in Moab a couple of summers ago, and so I have all the fabrics and everything else I need to finish it.


6. I still want to keep up with my one block per week on Lisa's Live, Love, Teach retirement quilt. On the drawing board for this month are Blocks 21-24:



Utility Sewing

7. Sew sleeves on two of my quilts set to be entered in this year's Oregon State Fair. The Psycatdelic quilt:


and

8. The Shoot for the Moon quilt.


That's plenty for one month, but I always need something for



Quilt Sandwiches

9. Sandwich the remaining quilts on the to-be-quilted pile, including Dream Machines (my most hated quilt ever). Someone told me that when they see this quilt, they see big white whales. Do you see them?


10. Doors of Ireland, and


11. Assuming I actually get it sewn into a flimsy...To the Rescue (pictured above).

It's a tall order for July, but you know by now that I'm up for the challenge. 

What's on your list for July?

10 comments:

Teresa in Music City said...

Great accomplishments, especially considering your travel and other fun stuff going on in June. July looks like a lot to do, but if I were a betting woman, I'd say you're definitely up to it! And yes, I see the whales :*)

Quilting Babcia said...

Lots on your plate, for sure, plus I'm sure the tomatoes in the greenhouse will be calling your name before long. Good thing we're all diehard sewers huh?

Julianne said...

Hi Barb! Wow, you actually got alot done in June. I am right there with you though, I had things I didnt get completed....ahhh well! I saw another Sunflower quilt like yours at our local fair, immediately thought of you, I love that quilt! Did you notice that the block lotto is doing a pet themed block for this month? I was hoping to ask if you could send me your cat block pattern so I could enter a few. Thanks so much, scritches to Gracie and Smitty!

gayle said...

I saw whales, too. And wondered why you sewed big off-center whales... The lightbulb finally went off when I noticed the spools. 8)
I can't believe how much you accomplished in June!
Love all your quilts! Especially Psycatdelic!

Sally Trude said...

I am so sorry for your lack of progress during June. The kittens conducted a statistical analysis of your blog posts for June and found a zero percent increase in the number of cats in your household. They hope you show better progress during July.

Sher S. said...

I don't know why you hate the sewing machine quilt so much, I think it's great and quirky but in a nice way. wouldn't mind if it found it's way to Florida..te he, LOL!! You got a lot more done than me and I'm retired and didn't go anywhere. Congrats!!! on so much progress, outstanding!!!

Dana Gaffney said...

Well now I feel like a slacker, please use Eeyore's voice when you read that. Yep, I see the whales and once I saw them it was hard to see the machines.

Cathy Smith said...

I definitely saw whales every time you posted a photo of that quilt. I HAD to make my mind see the sewing machines. Can't tell you how happy I am to know I wasn't the only one. Perhaps it's those of us with ultra creative minds? hehehe!

LethargicLass said...

Now I can't un-see big white whales LOL!

quiltzyx said...

That's what I was seeing! Whales! I did always have that moment of "what am I looking at?" before seeing the sewing machines. I think you got a LOT done in June. I did get my sister's shopping bag finished & sent off for her b'day, but that's about it. It's so stinkin' hot....and I MUST make a sample for the class I'm teaching before next Thursday's guild meeting. And do my one Road to California block for our next Opportunity Quilt so I can turn it in. This working thing, while very stress-relieving in the bill-paying aspect, is getting in the way of my nap time!