12/21/14

Quilted, Bound, Labeled, and Ready for Hanging

A Gardener's Journal is completely finished and ready for the Stitches in Bloom quilt show in January.


This morning I printed and attached the quilt label. It's fused to the quilt back, but I used three strands of embroidery floss to stitch it down with a running stitch. Since it's going into a show, I wanted to be sure that label was firmly attached.


I recognize that won't prevent thievery if someone gets a mind to steal one of my quilts. On the other hand, a burglar alarm won't prevent burglary. It does make it a little harder, however.

When I wrote about how long I'd been working on this quilt, I misread my notes. This was actually started on December 6, 2012, and so I've been working on it for over two years. It's not my oldest WIP, but it's certainly close. Embroidered quilts always take a long time, but the finished quilt is so worth the effort.

While I was taking little breaks from stitching yesterday, I did indeed make the Gingerbread Biscotti I was planning. It turned out so pretty.


I linked to the recipe yesterday, but as I was making it, I realized I hadn't shared with you how to cut the half-baked biscotti without breaking it. This method works like a charm, and it works for any biscotti recipe you choose. Here's how you do it:

First, chop any nuts or other added solid particles (crystalized ginger, in this case) fairly finely.  The large hunks are difficult to cut through and cause the cookies to break. Second, when taking the logs out of the oven to cool before slicing them, cover them with a dishtowel so that they cool more slowly.  The sudden change in temperature makes them brittle and the dishtowel will help with this.
Third, cut them with a large butcher knife rather than a serrated blade, and do not saw.  Rather, lean into it with your body weight and cut straight through.

The baking gingerbread filled the house with the most heavenly aroma, and that really had us in the Christmas spirit. We decided to literally turn to spirits by making some hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps. Yum.


And, as you might guess, I've been having too much fun over the past several days, and so it's time to buckle down and do some housework today. The Laundry Beast needs taming once again, and I have a couple of other chores on my list. If I can get that done, then I'm going to start on my Let's Book It project for December, this Quilter's Helper:


from this book:


Betcha can't guess the inspiration for this project.

And if I'm gonna have any more time for sewing today, I'd better get at those other items on today's to-do list. 

12 comments:

quiltzyx said...

WoooHOoooOOOOoo it's finished! Congratulations - it looks terrific.
Gingerbread sounds so good right now - and so does that Peppermint Schnapps Hot Chocolate!!!! I've been working on the braid quilt today & it's time to get back to it. And I have laundry to do too. When I finish the braid I'm working on, I'll run some errands, then throw a load in when I get back. Never ending, isn't it?

WoolenSails said...

Love how your quilt came out, beautiful stitching.
I will have to check that book out again, from our library, might be fun to do some of them.

Debbie

Kate said...

Congrats on finishing up the Gardner's Journal, it turned out beautifully. Love your next project. I bet you have at least one helper for that project.

Cath said...

I know I am living vicariously through you when I feel such satisfaction with your finished quilt.....LOL! The biscotti and "spiced" cocoa look so delish. I am definitely going to try that biscotti! If I don't get back here before Thursday Barbara, Merry Christmas to you and you family, including the furry kids.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Congratulations on finishing this beautiful quilt and good luck with the show. The biscotti and cocoa look oh so yumm. Very cute project for Book It.

Teresa in Music City said...

Finishes sure do feel nice, don't they? Especially one you've put so many tiny stitches into :)

Janarama said...

The quilt is beautiful Barbara! Looks like another ribbon winner to me.

Vicki W said...

Your quilt turned out great!

Brown Family said...

hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps.! We call that Peppermint Patty or Snowshoes! Yum is right!

Dar said...

Your garden quilt turned out very pretty. it's nice to get one of your older UFOs done. I am a biscotti lover and appreciate your hints on how to keep them from breaking easily. In the past, I just ate the ones that broke unevenly. lol Have a wonderful Christmas season with your family and fur baby.

Lyndsey said...

i love your garden quilt it is so pretty and a reminder of warmer weather. I've never made biscotti but as we all like it I'm going to try out the recipe. It looks yummy.

Michele said...

Yeah on the finish. Nicely done and I'm sure you are happy to have that off the WIP list.