11/23/14

Some Fast Fusing

This was the day I was really hoping to finish the 12th cat block, but it was not meant to be. Mike and I ended up doing some more running around. It wasn't until mid-afternoon that I was able to make my way into the sewing room. First, I had to piece together the background.


This cat is a little different from some of the others I've done recently in that the previous cats have used contrasting fabrics to bring out the detail in the cat. In this block, the cat is pretty much all one piece, and the details will be stitched in. Ditto the branches and trunks of the trees. I'll also have to stitch in the cat's face. And the whiskers. Don't forget the whiskers! You can see what I'm talking about by looking at the applique template below.


Clear as mud, right? Because of that, there weren't so very many pieces to cut out and fuse, and I was able to get the bare bones of the cat finished today.


I have in mind to use a bright pink for the top-stitching on the cat so that the detail shows up loud and clear. I won't get it finished today, but I should be able to get it all finished tomorrow.


And I still need to add the dragonfly for Captain Cattastick's block once the whole quilt top is sewn together.

So that brings me to the name for this quilt. Mike sort of likes "Psy-Cat-Delic". What do you think? Do you get it?

As I've been writing this post, I've been considering honoring George's memory by naming it "Captain Cattastic & Co." but I don't know. It's always so hard to name a quilt. Some others I've thought of are Krazy Kats, or Cats of a Different Color, although I was sort of saving that one for a different quilt. Or how about "Fantastic Felines" or "Cattasmagorical". I got that one from the word  "phantasmagorical" which means having a fantastic or deceptive appearance, as something in a dream or created by the imagination. I just now thought of that last one. I kind of like that.

So tomorrow I have to do the dreaded pre-Thanksgiving shopping trip. Fortunately, I have enough food to get us through to Thanksgiving, and so I just have to pick up the things I need for the Big Feast. Mae is bringing a salad and a vegetable. Valerie and her Mom are bringing appetizers and dessert. I'm left with cranberries, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, stuffing, and turkey. It's not too bad since I can do most of it ahead of time. And all of that to say it's a busy week ahead, but I'm really hoping to get this last cat finished tomorrow in spite of it all.

10 comments:

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

I love how your cats are turning out. I have the same pattern and have about three or four blocks done...I'm not certain because it's been a few months since I've worked on it. I hope to get back to it in 2015. I like Mike's name for the quilt...it's nice when the hubby helps!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

You made quite a lot of progress over the last few days! I just think these are so fun. I like to leave the 'naming' of the quilt to the creator and all of them you have listed are super. Maybe a family gathering with family suggestions will make for a good time.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

You made quite a lot of progress over the last few days! I just think these are so fun. I like to leave the 'naming' of the quilt to the creator and all of them you have listed are super. Maybe a family gathering with family suggestions will make for a good time.

quiltzyx said...

Kattasmagorical - I like it with the "K" at the beginning. I don't know why. You have gotten a lot done in the last few days!

Have fun at the market, I know that's your favorite thing to do....

Monday will be a long day for me. First to Auntie's Ceramics, downloading more machine embroidery patterns no doubt (she's addicted!), then to the colleges to work until 8pm. Nothing strenuous, just long. I've been working on some crocheted coasters today, & will probably do more tomorrow.

Kate said...

You've made great progress. I like all the names you are considering. But Captian Cattastic & Co.is my favorite of that set.

Anonymous said...

Definitely love Mike's suggested name. This latest cat addition is outstanding (my fave?). I think it's the fabric you chose and the simplicity of just one piece, I'm not sure. It will take on more personality as the stitching is added, I'm sure. Love this quilt!!!!

Dana Gaffney said...

I like all of the names, but of course I like the idea of honoring George :)

Ann said...

I'm really starting to love your colorful cats. Your blocks are very well done. Thanks for sharing your work with us.

Snoodles said...

Wow! This is coming together so fast! Love Mike's name for it, too....gotta run and start some prep for our Turkey Day. Hope yours is pleasant, and lots of good memories are made!

Brown Family said...

It is hard to give a quilt a name. I have no imagination when it comes to that!