11/26/14

Happy Thanksgiving!


This morning I'm signing off the blog for a day or two, but I didn't want to let the day go by without sharing a couple of things with you. For one thing...this cat. Smitty is thankful for this cat. I was all set to dress him up like a turkey, but then he Googled this guy. Smitty is helpful in every way. Right now he's helping Gracie get some exercise.

Also, remember the link I posted from the NY Times about 50 recipes from 50 states? Today they followed it with this article about the most Googled recipes from the 50 states.

It was kind of interesting. Researchers at Google analyzed the most searched-for recipes from all 50 states, and came up with this list. I was pretty disappointed with Oregon's "Vegan Mushroom Gravy". No offense to vegans out there. I just happen to be a meat-eater, and I like my gravy made from the pan drippings from my turkey...and the giblets...just like my mother used to make. Vegan mushroom gravy? That's really the most searched-for recipe from Oregon? IMHO: Gack. Anyway...the article is pretty interesting. Check it out right here.

There is much to accomplish today, and I need to get going. Still, I didn't want to miss wishing all of you a Happy Thanksgiving and to thank you for reading so faithfully. When I started this blog about 4 1/2 years ago, I just wanted to participate in some of the online quilt challenges. I started writing tentatively, not really finding my voice until I started writing my blog posts as letters to good friends. You have responded in kind. You've made me laugh with your funny comments, encouraged me to keep going during challenging times (both life challenges and sewing challenges), and you've been some of my best friends. When I consider the many people and things for which I am grateful, I count all of you among them. Thank you.




24 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

I'll echo the gack factor, LOL. So grateful that you taught Smitty how to google, or we'd be reading through a tattered post! He certainly is a multi-faceted kitty!
Happy Thanksgiving my friend. Looks like we'll have a white Thanksgiving, as we're on the edge (I hope it's the edge) of this big Noreaster roaring through the east coast.

quiltzyx said...

Oh yes, so glad Smitty is a googler & thus did not have to become a gobbler!
Vegan mushroom gravy? I'm with you - my Mom did the giblet gravy too!
I am thankful that I found my way to Cat Patches. You make me laugh & chuckle with almost every post! I wish you & your family a very festive Thanksgiving, with lots of laughing thrown in for good measure.

NancyA said...

I agree about the Vegan gravy--but my state (and several others)had 'Frog Eye Salad)--really? That many people want to make Frog Eye Salad? Maybe it is the name....

Happy Thanksgiving, Barbara--we, your readers, are thankful for you and your interesting, inspirational and humorous blog. Enjoy your days off, but hurry back, ya' hear?

Kate said...

Hmmm, cat-turkey, I'm not sure even a mad scientist would go there. Glad that Smitty was spared that experience.

Have a very happy Thanksgiving.

Debbie said...

LOL....at first glance I thought you had made a turkey suit for Smitty! enjoy your family and Happy Thanksgiving....save the broth for the kitties!

Frederique said...

Fun picture! Love it!!
I'm running a fabric giveaway, would you like to enter?
Happy Thanksgiving!

barbara woods said...

i though for a minute that that was smitty

crazy quilter said...

I wish you and your family a wonderful Thanksgiving. Have a great time with them all and give the kitties a little turkey. Hugs from Texas!

kauanoeanuhea said...

Thank you for your blog. I don't know how or when I found it, but it has been the one I most look forward to each day. You sure do have a way with words Barbara! Enjoy your thanksgiving with your family.

Betty said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family! Save a bit of turkey for the kitties!

Debra said...

Smitty is soooo smart! We are laughing out loud. Thanks for the great photo. Happy thanksgiving!

Quilter Kathy said...

What an adorable photo :)
Happy Thanksgiving!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

ROFL thanks for the laugh. I told DH that the recipe for Oregon is Vegan Mushroom gravy, and I agree GACK! He laughed and asked is that why you live in Michigan, you were voted out of the state because you are not a vegan, and you don't like mushrooms?

Teresa in Music City said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you, Mike, Smitty, Gracie & your family!!!

I'm feeling the Dis as well - "spinach maria" in Tennessee - really? Never heard of it! And I'll no one else in Tennessee ever has either - at least no one I know! And then "pig pickin' cake" in North Carolina? - wow!!!! I'm going to have to go look that one up so we can serve it to my NC family here tomorrow LOL!!!!

Vicki said...

I, for one, am very happy you found your voice. I look forward to your blog every day. As a fellow cat-and-quilt fancier, I feel as if I'm sitting across from you at the bee, chatting with an old friend. Well, not that old. In fact, I've got a year or two on you. Have a happy Thanksgiving!

Janarama said...

I'm thinking Smitty told Gracie "let's get out of here or Mom's going to put feathers on us!". Wishing you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving.

Michele said...

Oh thanks for the chuckle this morning. I can imagine what it would have been like if you had tried to do that to Mr. Smitty.

Dana Gaffney said...

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you! I do with that had been Smitty (please don't tell him I said that). That's an interesting map, I'm fascinated with the Frog Eye Salad, soup maybe, but salad?

Denise :) said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Barbara! Sooooo glad that Smitty was able to find a stand-in! LOL! I'm not real thrilled with our 'food' either -- sweet potato dumplings? But, ummm, it beats vegan gravy. HAHA!! Have a blessing-filled day!!! :)

liniecat said...

Oh No!!
Smitty and Grace are way too dignified surely for such an outfit!!
Hope you have a great thanksgiving break : )

Snoodles said...

Enjoy your break...I'm grateful to count you among my friends, whether I can actually reach you to hug you, or whether I send you a virtual hug across the miles. You are a blessing to me!

Becky said...

Barbara,
Happy Thanksgiving!
Just wanted you to know I really like your blog! Great job!
Say hi to Mike!
Becky aka newquilter!

Brown Family said...

WOW! I had to Google some of these just to see what they were! Including Sopapilla Cheese cake! I have heard of some of them ans have eaten Pig Picking cake, even though we did not call it that! I made Pumpkin Fluff. It is a sweet dip and my husband turned his nose up at the recipe. However, he licked the bowl clean. Every one seemed to enjoy it!

Judy1522 said...

I agree about the gravy, wouldn't you know that would be the most googled recipe here. Hope you had a gret Thanksgiving! I am sure Smitty is relieved that is not a picture of him.