10/30/14

Idle Hands

Having finished up my latest stitchery yesterday, I found myself with no hand work to do this morning. Frankly, I wasn't quite sure what to do with myself. Housework? Nah. I opted for a few more cups of coffee and a snuggle with Gracie.

After a while, I decided to get started on my next project, which is quite small. It's going to be a combination of applique and embroidery, and I wasn't really able to draw on the embroidery design until the applique was fused and stitched down. This is a pay-it-forward surprise for a Facebook friend, and so I can only give you a peek. (I think this particular friend might actually read my blog posts.) Anyway...take a look because it's the only time I'm going to show it to you until it's finished and she has it in her hot little hands.


After that I went back to working on the Wind in the Whiskers block. I realized after applying a few more leaves and flowers that I'd taken it far enough to apply the cat sleeping on the branch.


And then I just kept going until I needed to stop and start my dinner...which, by the way, got started about an hour later than I needed it to. I miscalculated how long it would take to braise in the oven. Oh well. Dinner will be late tonight. Anyway...this is as far as I got today.


There's just a little bit left on the left side to finish now, and I think I'll be able to hit my goal of finishing it tomorrow.

Now here's something you'll want to know if you're making this quilt. There are a lot of mistakes on the instructions for this block. When I realized just how much had been left off, I went to McKenna Ryan's website to see if there were corrections. There are, but only on the first block. This one is wrong on so many counts, I made some notes for myself. Had I known I would be called upon to do a freaking tutorial, I would have been neater about it. So pay attention because I'm only going to say this once (but please feel free to email me if you want clarification).

When you get to step "H" of the instructions pictured below, she mentions that you need to make Branch 6. Although there are still four more branches to apply, this is the last time she says a single word about any branches. You still need to pay attention to the placement for Branches 2, 3, 4, and 5.


You can see that I've made some notes and drawn some arrows where you need to make those additions. Sorry I didn't plan better...but then, it wasn't my plan. As it is, I've had to peel up a little bit of the already-fused Leaf 13 to make way for Branch 3 and 4 that will need to slide underneath. Drat. I don't think it's a big deal, but I would be a lot happier had the pattern just been written correctly. Sheesh. And, for all I know, there are still mistakes that I haven't discovered yet.

So, no harm done...for me anyway. I'm just hoping none of you will run into problems. This is not a pattern for beginners, by any means.

And with that, I need to do a few things. I saved the day's housework for last. Mike called, and he'll be home a little early today, so I'd better get going and act as if I did something besides play in the sewing room all day.

Don't forget. The October NewFO linky party goes live tomorrow. Are you ready?


8 comments:

Shari said...

Your block looks great. It's so frustrating to have to work through so many pattern errors. I'm sure others making this same quilt appreciate the heads up.

crazy quilter said...

Hey Barbara, when I did storybook farm, also a pattern by McKenna, I ignored thes instructions and took my question from the picture. I did this one as a shop sample for our now closed LQS. But also. I did not fuse anything down until I had all the parts cut from the fabrics. I tell you this hoping it will cause you less grief trying to follow a pattern which indeed is written for a seasoned quilter. You are a seasoned Quilter, so I know you can do this. I also don't usually fuss too much about exactly matching the layout perfectly. I look at the picture and place the parts where they belong or in the general vicinity. It is your quilt, you can have all the artistic license you need. Enjoy the process! It will be beautiful and bring you great joy when it is done.

Mrs.Pickles said...

lovely work! Pattern errors just suck bobbins

Vroomans' Quilts said...

It is so nice of you to share all your trials and errors and corrections with this pattern. It looks lovely - too much fuse fussing for me, but I know you like this challenge.

Sher S. said...

You have definitely made it to seasoned quilter with this pattern. I'm really surprised that they published the instructions with so many errors and her website doesn't address all of them. That turns me off on trying one of her patterns, have loved them all but won't deal with those headaches. You are the best to share what you found out and shared how to go about fixing her mistakes. Love how this quilt is coming along, it is one of my favorites because of the cats.

quiltzyx said...

It's looking good, despite all the hassles you're having with the pattern. That is disappointing (the probs) because her quilts are so beautiful.

Teresa in Music City said...

Thanks so much for sharing your tips and the errors you have found Barbara! I'm printing this off so I'll have it when (if ever!) I get around to making my blocks :) I know this project is giving you headaches, but it is going to be so beautiful and you're going to have such a sense of accomplishment when it is done!

Kate said...

That has to be frustrating to find those errors in such a complicated piece. I'd be pulling my hair out at that point.