9/18/14

RV Woes

This morning we're trying for a second time to leave Munising, Michigan. Nothing against, Munising, you understand. It's a nice little town. Somehow the prospect of wintering over with somewhere in the neighborhood of 285 inches of snow (no exaggeration) does not appeal to us. Smitty is absolutely opposed to the idea, and one must always go with the wishes of one's cat. Gracie doesn't care. She just wants to go home, wherever that might be.


We've enlisted the support of some gentlemen from the trailer next door to try to manually shove in the slide this morning. Hopefully, that will work, (Amended to say: "It worked!!!") and we'll be on our way to Ishpeming, Michigan, about 60 miles east to get repairs done. We are optimistic that the RV place has the part we need. If not, it can be air-freighted in tomorrow, and repairs done then. Please continue to keep your fingers crossed.

I used yesterday's down time to read through the 90-page self-training module that has to be completed before I can attend the Oregon Department of Corrections training on October 2nd. (Recall that I'm going to be teaching quilting to female prison inmates with the Coffee Creek Quilters.) I've mailed off my self-test, and that part of the effort is done. Now I need to attend the training and also get an orientation/tour of the facility. After that, I'll be eligible to receive my stinking badge. (We don't need no stinking badges!)

Also, yesterday, I had a finish of sorts. I finished the little quilt for my Quilting Snowlady quilt block. With all that satin stitching, it always feels as if the block is nearly finished when the quilt is all stitched.


I'll have some more time to work on that while they do the repairs (hopefully) this morning.

Finally, I've re-routed our trip to head for home now. We are going to head south down toward Lake Michigan and then west in a death march toward home. We've had a lot of fun and spent more time in the east than we should have. I'm terribly disappointed that we are going to miss visiting two friends along the way. There simply isn't time to do that and still get Mike back to work on schedule. Another time, perhaps.

Here's the route as it stands. The pins have no meaning beyond getting us on the roads we want to travel.


This is a last-minute post, being written with the laptop on battery power as I sit in the truck waiting for Mike to make final preparations to take off for Ishpeming. I'm very much hoping that the next time I write, we will be on our way back west. Wish us good luck, please.

20 comments:

Needled Mom said...

Good luck. With snow levels like that, it would not be a place I would care to winter over either!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Finger, toes, and eyes are crossed for good luck.

Loree said...

We will pray for safe travels and inexpensive RV repairs.

SJSM said...

Hopefully the repair place is a luxury place so you can wait in style. May your repair be quick and you all be on the road home safely and soon.

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

Good luck to you all!

quiltzyx said...

Glad to hear that you had friendly and helpful camping neighbors to help get the slide pushed back in.

I agree, that's a bit too much snow for me too!

Safe journeys on the way west pardners!

Christine M said...

I hope everything goes well Barbara. Your snow lady's quilt is lovely!

Lyndsey said...

Everything crossed that your repairs go well.

Betty said...

I do hope the repair goes well! I would not want to be stuck in a place with that much snow either, especially without my sewing machine and fabric stash!

crazy quilter said...

Good luck with the repairs, I have full confidence all will be taken care of post haste and you will be westward ho in record time! Keeping my fingers crosse for you!

Junebug613 said...

I'm hoping that at this time, you're already done with repairs and settled in a nice campsite headed west. Sending good thoughts and smooth traveling all the way home!

Tami C said...

Good luck with the repair! I'll keep my fingers crossed as well!

Brown Family said...

I hope the repairs went well. I know how anxious things like that can be!

Ann said...

Good luck. Hope the rest of the trip is a little easier.

Carole in Nebraska said...

Looks like you're returning via Omaha. Great quilt shops and easy off I-80. Country Sampler 120 and W Center, Omaha and Quilted Moose in Gretna.

Diane Wild said...

May Wakan Tanka be with you.

Vickie said...

I love your comments, good luck with the parts doing the trick. But i had to laugh and repeat in an accent "we don't need no sticking badges!" Thanks for the chuckle.

Michele said...

Luck, luck, luck, luck, luck, luck, luck......

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

As usual, I'm behind, but, hoping you are well on your way by now. Safe travels.

Kate said...

I'm way behind too, but am catching up. Have loved all the photos. I may have to convince My Guy and Drama Teen to make a trip up north.