7/29/14

Sophisticats



Yesterday I received a yard of the absolute cutest cat fabric EVER as a surprise from my dear friend, Marei. Take a look at this:


After I opened it, I spent about half an hour reading all of the articles. Living in the country as Smitty and Gracie do, they aren't as sophisticated as some of these cats. None of us had any idea about the extraordinary activities going on in the cat world. Feast your eyes. I'll just wait and give you a chance to read.



(I shouldn't have let Gracie read that article above. Now she wants a "whisker lift". At her age, who can blame her?)


And this book below just might encourage Smitty to do some summer reading. I've been encouraging him to keep up with his reading while he's on vacation.


Also, I told him that if he wants to be an astrocat, he'll need to keep up with his studies.


If you find this fabric as irresistible as I did, here's the info from the selvage:


This morning I went for my second observation with the Coffee Creek Quilters. It went a little better this week. In fact, two of the women finished their quilts. It was so heart-warming to see them hold up their quilts with pride to receive applause and congratulations from their sister inmates and instructors. It actually made me tear up. I still have one observation to go, but I'm favorably impressed with the program and the facility. I failed to mention last time that there are other programs for the women besides quilting. There is a master gardener program that leads to a certificate, and a beekeeping program. It's wonderful to know that the women can come out of incarceration with a skill they can use on the outside. As I was saying to Mike, the more creative they can be in their free time, the more creative problem-solvers they will be as well. The time flies by while I'm there.

When that was all done, I needed to make a quick trip to the grocery store, and then I came home and went to work on my zucchini relish. The yield was four pints today, which is about what I was expecting. That will last us a couple of years.


And while I was waiting for that to do its thing, I continued on with my quilt binding. I'm very close to turning the fourth corner now, and so I'm on the home stretch. I'm hoping to get it finished this afternoon.


Tomorrow I have a day at home. I'll use it to make up the label for this quilt. Also, I need to do a little bit of laundry, and pack up my sewing items for the symposium in Tacoma. Pfelicity is so excited about her first outing. There is still a big zucchini left, and so I'll make some zucchini bread and freeze whatever is left.

And with that, I guess I'll get back to my quilt binding. I hope you're having a lovely day!

12 comments:

Tami C said...

Thanks for sharing the cute Cat stories. I'm not sure what I would do with that fabric if I had some, but I enjoyed reading the articles! I think you'll enjoy volunteering with the Coffee Creek Quilters. I enjoy my time with the Green Bag Lady. I hope you have a great time at your symposium.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I've seen that fabric before - too cute. Yummo, zuchini relish!

WoolenSails said...

That fabric is so fun, can't wait to see what you make with it.

Debbie

lroghair/lparks said...

I have the Kitty Chronicles fabric!! I love it! I made a bag with it for a friend who loves cats. The bag was huge, so you could read all the stories. I can't wait to see what you do.

Brown Family said...

I love that fabric. I have a piece of it, too!

beaquilter said...

those cat fabrics are hilarious, should get some for my mom. hmm

Diane Wild said...

You mean someone is paid to come up with this stuff? They must be catatonic by the time they're done. (sorry) Day of yard work ahead.

Catskill Quilter said...

I always enjoy your posts (and Facebook offerings!) and this one is no exception. Thank you!

Dana Gaffney said...

That fabric is so cute, I can't imagine what you'll do with it, but really cute.

Michele said...

That is mews to me.

quiltzyx said...

That is CATastic fabric! I like the idea of a bag, or maybe an iPad cover made from it. What do you think?

I imagine you're packing about now for the sym-shindig. Have a great time~!

Michelle said...

Too cute!! I had to forward your blog link to my hubby & friends.
Thanks for the laugh...