5/3/11

31 Candles

I'm old-fashioned in a way that says that everyone except me, of course, should have a candle on their birthday cake for every year of their age.  Me?  Whatever age I am, I want 21 candles.  Mae got 31 candles on her cake last night.


Erik and Mae watched intently as I lit them,



and Mae blew them all out effortlessly.



I was so mad at my fallen cake yesterday that I bought one at the grocery store.  It was fudgy and good, so take that, Fallen Cake!  I sent half of it home with Erik and Mae to share with their housemates and their cats, Chester and Lucy.  It was a nice evening.  The sun was shining and it was actually still light at 8:00 p.m.  (One of the things I love about living in the Northwest is how late it stays light in the evening during the summer.)

So I'm a pooped pup this morning.  I spent yesterday morning cooking Mae's birthday dinner, which is a labor of love, of course.  Then I needed a few things at the grocery store.  When I got home, I cleaned my messy kitchen and straightened things up around the house.  I finished everything up around 4:30 and then collapsed in a chair until Mike got home from work around 5:30.  The physical part of getting ready for guests isn't what tires me out.  The excitement of the evening is at least as tiring--but in a good way.

This is a big week for our family.  Mae's birthday comes first, then mine, then Mike's, then Mother's Day all in the same week.  I really dislike Mother's Day following so closely on my birthday.  It feels more than a little indulgent to be fawned over two days in one week--not that I'm complaining.  I'm just not completely comfortable with that much attention.  This year we decided to do it a little differently and have just one celebration for Mike's and my birthdays and Mother's Day.  I think that makes more sense, and I think it will be more fun for everyone.

As for today, I'm going swimming, and then I'm going to spend the day sewing.  I didn't get any sewing in yesterday.  When I don't get to sew at least a little bit each day, I really miss it.  I'm spoiled in that way.  I no longer work, and so I have plenty of time on my hands.  I did go swimming both Tuesday and Thursday last week, and so I'm one week down in my 8-weeks-to-a-new-swimming-suit challenge.  I was going to get some flowers for my outdoor flower pots today, but I think I'll hold off until tomorrow.  Today is a day to recuperate.

2 comments:

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Sounds lovely-swim, eat cake, sew, hug kids--what more could a life want in it. Your celebration plans sound perfect. I am not one to have a fuss made over me either.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Have you ever had to have a fire extinguisher ready in case you couldn't get the candles blown out in time - just kidding. Our family has a ritual with candles. The preparer puts the number of candles she selects. The trick is to make it into a puzzle. If there are 10 candles it could be for someone turning the 21. The recipient has to figure out the puzzle. Thus with 10 candles the puzzle would be 7 X 3 = 21. Adds a new dimension to the bday and saves on candles :)
Enjoy your swim and I hope you get some sewing in today.